Yesterday Sri brought home some fresh Beef….and I was in a confusion…about what to do with it…i mean should should I fry it up or make beef curry…Beef anyhow made is very Tasty….I thought and thought…and then I remembered the very Tasty beef curry I used to have for lunch in YWCA Hostel…when I was an inmate there…And I started Drooling…I remember..the Taste used to be soooo perfect….the spice combination..the gravy…everything…Even after eating the beef curry with rice for lunch…for hours I used to think about its spicy..naadan mouthwatering Taste…and the OHH – SOO – SPECIAL Aroma in our Mess Hall and when I left the Hostel I remembered that i had asked ‘Rosy chechi(the cook)’ the recipe of this perfect beef curry…which she willingly gave me…She was infact very happy and proud when I asked her the recipe…She told me that the recipe was a secret……anyways she wont be visiting my blog 🙂 ….that the recipe was her husband’s recipe…He owned a thattukada in the famous Shankumugham beach,Trivandrum..And I kept the recipe safely….and I completely forgot about it….and I didnt try it out until Yesterday…
It was a very simple recipe…No complex ingredients….So here I am enclosing the secret…the Trademark recipe of Rosy Chechi!!!Cheers to her!!
- Beef – 1kg(Cut into cubes).
- Shallots – 1 cup.(sliced)
- Onions – 2 (sliced).
- Green Chilli -2
- Curry leaves – a hand full.
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1 1/2 cup.
- Tomato – 1 big(Or 2 medium)
- Ginger(Crushed) – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp.
- Garam Masala – 1 1/2 tsp.
- Aniseeds(Perumjeerakam) – 1 tsp.
- Grind Ingredients under ‘To Grind’ and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure Cooker and add the Sliced Onions ,Shallots,Green Chillies and Curry Leaves and saute till Onion is transparent.
- Add the ground paste and salt to this and saute on medium flame till raw smell disappears.
- Now add beef to this and saute well so that the masala clings on to the pieces of beef.
- Now add water and close the lid and cook for 6-7 whistles(the beef must be cooked till very tender).
- After the Pressure releases,open up and cook on high flame till gravy is thick.
- Serve hot with Rice/Chapathis/Appam/Kappa/bread/Kerala Parotta and Enjoy!!!
You can add a little Vinegar(1Tbsp) while cooking the beef…instead of Tomato to give the tangy taste to the curry.I used tomato.