I am sure you must have had biriyani,different kinds of them..different varieties like chicken biriyani,mutton biriyani,vegetable biriyani etc…Today i would like to present before you a very different,homely recipe of a Beef Biriyani.This is entirely my version,originated from my amma’s kitchen to be precise!
Have you ever wondered about the origin of “Biriyani”? Well,the origin of this wonderful dish can be traced to Persia/or even Arabia,derived from the word “Birian”, a Farsi word.The taste must have travelled from Persia via Afghanistan to the Northern Part of India.It could have also been brought by Arabic traders to Calicut.We know the history little better during 1800 to 1900. During Mogul empire, Lucknow was known as Awadh, giving rise to Awadhi Biryani. In 1856, British deposed Nawab Wajid Ali Shah in Calcutta, giving rise to Calcutta Biryani. Aurangzeb installed Nizam-ul-mulk as the Asfa Jahi ruler of Hyderabad, as well as a ‘Nawab of Arcot’ to oversee Aaru Kaadu region (Six Forrests) south of Hyderabad. These moves gave rise to Hyderabadi Biryani and Arcot Biryani. The Biryani spread to Mysore by Tipu Sultan of Carnatic. It was indeed a royal dish for Nawabs and Nizams.
Needless to say I am very thankful to all these people…for bringing such a wonderful dish!!!Here goes the recipe!!!
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Cinnamon – 3 1 inch pieces.
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 5
- Bay leaves – 1
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Beef – 1/2 kg(Washed,cut into cubes)
- Onion sliced – 2 cups.
- Green chilli -1
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 1/2 tsp
- Tomato – 1 big(Chopped)
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 heaped tsp.
- Vinegar 1 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Garam masal powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Coconut milk – 1/4 cup.
- Cilantro and mint leaves chopped – both together (1 cup)
- Cashews – 8(fried in ghee)
- Raisins -8(fried in ghee)
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Heat oil in a Pressure Cooker,and add Ginger garlic paste and Onions,green chilli and saute till onions turns transparent.
- Now add Chilli powder,corainder powder,Turmeric powder,Garam masala powder and pepper powder and vinegar and mix well.To this add the chopped tomatoes and saute well till oil seperates.Now add the cubed beef and salt and saute well.
- Add about 2 1/2 cups of water and close and cook for 4 -5 whistles.When the pressure releases,seperate the beef and stock and keep aside.
- Now In a pressure cooker(you may was the pressure cooker and then use),heat ghee,add the whole spices,cilanto and mint leaves,Now add the rice,saute till each grain seperates,now add the stock along with water (Both should come to 4 cups).
- To this add the coconut milk and salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles.When pressure releases,fluff gently with a fork.
- In a pan ,heat oil and saute the beef.
- Layer the beef with the rice in a serving dish and garnish with cashews and raisins.Serve hot with Salad and Enjoy!!
Pouring a little coconut milk as shown in the photo,over the biriyani,at the time of serving really gives an awesome taste to it!!