Tandoori Chicken is a Chicken dish originated in The Northern parts of India.Its a dish in which the chicken pireces are marinated with yoghurt ,fresh lemon juice and a lot of spices.It is then left aside for a couple of hours and is then cooked in clay ovens known as Tandoors.Kashmiri red chili powder is used to give it a fiery red hue.
It is also said that it was originated in Moti Lal Mahal Delux of Kundan Lal Gujral,in New Delhi..And it impressed The very Loved Indian Prime Minister of India,Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru,who made it a regular at the official banquets.Visiting Dignatories who relished this dish included the American Presidents Richard Nixon,John F Kennedy, Soviet Leaders like nicholas Bulganin,The king of Nepal and many more.The fame of this dish led to many derivatives like Chicken tikka etc..
This dish needs a few advanced preparations,but its truly worth every bite.Thats my assurance!So try it out !!Here goes the recipe!!
Chicken Breasts – 2 (halved,So 4 pieces)
Freshly squeezed Lime juice – juice of 1 lemon.
Garlic paste – of 5 garlic pearls.
Ginger paste – of 1 1/2 inch ginger.
Green Chilli -1 (crushed)
Yoghurt – 4 tbsp.
Ground Cumin- 1 tsp
Garam masala – 3 tsp.
Kashmiri chilli powder/Paprika – 4tsp.
Black pepper crushed- 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
Coriander powder 1 1/2 tsp.
Cilantro leaves paste- 2tsp.
- Make small gashes here and there on the chicken using a knife for the better penetration of the masala.
- Pour the freshly squeezed lime juice on the chicken pieces and rub it well all over and leave it aside for half an hour.
- In a bowl,combine garli paste,Ginger paste,Crushed Green Chilli,Youghurt,Ground cumin,Garam masal,Kashmiri chilli powder,Crushed balck pepper,salt,turmeric powder,coriander powder,and cilantro leaves paste.
- Apply this on the chicken pieces after the said time and cover it with a lid or cling wrap and keep in the fridge for 5 hours untouched.(This is kept in fridge so that we do not lose the freshness of the chicken).
- After 5 hours,preheat an oven at 325 F and place the chicken pieces in a roast pan and cook for 1 1/2 hours,turning occassionally or till cooked until chicken is tender and keep aside and cover it with aluminium foil on all sides.
- Now heat a tawa.When hot,lowe the heat and place the chicken pieces covered in aluminium foil and cook on both sides,alternating flame from low to medium for 10 -12 minutes.Remove and serve hot with pudina chutney.EnJoy!!
Cooking the chicken on the tawa covered with aluminium foil gives it a smoked,cooked on charcoal effect and taste.Its optional though!!But I strongly Recommend it!!