Month: July 2014
Meen Pappas/Fish Pappas is a very popular dish of Gods own country Kerala.Being a kuttanattukaari(a native of Kuttanadu),this is regular dish prepared in my family from generations.Its a very tasty dish in which the fish is marinated with spices and limejuice and then is shallow fried and then is again cooked for a little time in creamy and spiced coconut milk,with a hint of crushed black pepper and slight heat of green chilli and yet a distinct aroma of fennel seeds and slight tanginess of tomatoes and vinegar.This is a combo of so many tastes,packed together into a delicious dish!I just love sitting on the bank of the backwaters(in the backyard of my ancesteral home in Thalavady),watching the beauty of the backwater,soo calm and the gentle swooshing sound of the Bamboo trees in the gentle breeze and having a plate of my Ammachi’s(Great Grandma) Appam and Karimeen Pappas!Those mouthwatering memories..I can never ever forget.
Recollecting those memories,Today I decided to prepare Fish Pappas,only that I didnt have Pomfret/Karimeen.But I decided to proceed with King fish.The taste was simply awesome..delicious..!!Do try it out!!
- Fish pieces – 1/2 kg
- Chilli powder – 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder – 1 tsp
- Crushed pepper – 2 tsp
- Lime juice – 3 tsp
- Oil for frying the fish.
- Onion – 2 (sliced thinly)
- Crushed Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Green chilli – 1(whole)
- Curry leaves – a handfull
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds/Perumjeerakam – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato – 4 thinly sliced rounds(Half of a tomato)
- Coconut milk – 1 cup(medium Consistency,neither too thick nor too thin)
- Vinegar – 3 drops
- Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
- Make a marinade with Lime juice,Chilli powder,Turmeric powder,Pepper powder,Fenugrrek powder and salt and smear it uniformly on the fish pieces on both sides and leave it aside for half an hour .
- Now heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the above marinated fish,by flipping each side till done.Drain from oil and keep aside.
- In a Manchatti/Earthen ware/Cooking pan,heat coconut oil,gently swirl the vessel/pan so that the oil coats the inside of the pan uniformly.
- Now tear the curry leaves and add to the oil and again gently swirl the curry leaves aroma infused oil so that the oil coats the inside of the pan uniformly.
- Now add onions,crushed ginger and green chilli and saute till onion turns transparent.Now add the Turmeric powder,Coriander powder and Fennel seeds and saute well.Add vinegar and saute.
- Now place the thinly sliced round tomato slices on the top of this onion base.Close the pan/vessel with a lid and cook for a minute.Now open the lid and place the fried fish pieces gently over the tomato slices.Then gently pour the coconut milk over this and bring to boil in a medium heat.Now add salt and swirl the pan/vessel (taking care).Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes and turn off the flame.Leave on the kitchen counter for half an hour for flavours to penetrate and serve with Rice/Appam/Chapathis and Enjoy!
Karimeen/Pomfret is the best fish that can be used in this pappas.But due to the unavailability of this fish here,I used King Fish/Neymeen.
Butter Chicken is one of the most popular Indian dishes liked by people from different countries alike.This is my family’s regular dining out dish!For me,I can have Butter chicken/Murgh Makhani,3 times a day,all days of the week!Butter Chicken is my all time favourite right from my childhood.I first tasted this at my Punjabi neighbour’s home.I still remember their home..it was a big house,a joint family consisting of the Father,Mother ,their 4 sons,their wives and their children.They always dined together outside their home,in the Backyard,where they had a huge Tandoor oven.Naans/Rotis were made in the Tandoor oven.I still recall..their home always smelled of Butter Chicken..such a heavenly Aroma..made my mouth water the minute I entered their home 🙂
I have tried Butter Chicken at home a zillion times.But never perfected until I got this recipe.This has got that authentic restaurant taste.My family just loved it…Its pure happiness isnt it if you can get that restaurant taste of Butter Chicken prepared right in your kitchen..!So dont miss it!Try it out and Enjoy!
- Boneless chicken-250 gms(cubed)
- Onions – 2( minced)
- Tomato-1( pureed)
- Tomato Sauce- 1tbsp
- Butter, ghee, or oil- 1 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder – 1tsp.
- Coriander powder- 2tsp.
- Garam Masala – 1tsp.
- Kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves – 1 generous pinch
- milk- 1 1/2 cup
- Cream or pureed cashew paste (soak and grind cashew nuts)- 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves / cilantro – 1 bunch(For Garnishing)
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the minced onions. Saute till Golden brown.
- Add the gingergarlic paste, corianderpowder, chilli powder, turmericpowder, and salt. Saute till it emits an aroma.
- Now add the pureed tomato and tomato sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the kasuri methi, milk, and the cubed chicken. Cook covered for 8-10 mins until the chicken is soft. Mix occasionally. Keep the flame low.
- When the chicken is cooked soft, open the lid and cook for a further minute or two. If the gravy is too thick, add some water at this stage.
- When done, add the garam masala or chicken masala and the cream or cashew paste.Mix well(take care not to boil).
- Check salt,add if needed, garnish with the coriander leaves, and put out the flame.
- Serve hot with naan or fried rice and Enjoy!!
Whats Eid without a Biriyani?So today for my muslim friend’s pot luck party I decided to prepare Egg biriyani since I had already used up my chicken and prepared Tandoori Chicken (This too to be taken for todays party).This is a very easy but different version of Egg Biriyani.But very very addictive and super delicious.
After all the fasting,which Muslims believe is a time they pay for they sins to Allah,Ramzan/Eid is a festival for celebration,get togethers and Love.Whats more better than preparing a delicious Biriyani for your friends and family.Enjoy Egg biriyani and Wishing you all my Muslim friends out there a very Happy Eid!!
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Cinnamon – 3 1 inch pieces.
- Cardamom – 3 -4
- Cloves – 4
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 2
- Mint leaves – a few
- Water – 1 1/2 cup
- Thin Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Egg – 4 Hard Boiled +3 eggs,beaten and scrambled along with salt and pepper.
- Ghee – 2 tbsp(for masala)
- Ginger garlic paste – 3 tsp
- Mint leaves – 1 hand full
- Coriander leaves/Cilantro – 1 hand full
- Onion – 2 sliced
- Tomato – 1 big(Chopped finely)
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp.
- Coriander powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 3 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Fried Cashew nuts and Raisins for Garnish
- 1 pinch of saffron dissolved in 3 tbsp of milk
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Slice the Boiled eggs length wise,Sprinkle salt and a bit of corn flour and shallow fry in oil and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker,heat 2 tbsp of ghee and add the whole spices and wait till it emits an aroma.
- Now add the mint leaves to it,saute for 5 seconds and add the rice,along with 1 1/2 cups of water+1/2 cup of Thin coconut milk and salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles.When pressure releases,fluff the rice gently with a fork and spread it on a tray and leave to cool.
- Grind together – coriander leaves + mint leaves + green chillies + ginger + garlic and keep aside
- Now in a pan,heat heat 2 tbsp of Ghee and add sliced onion,Cumin seeds,Fennel seeds,Ginger garlic paste, and the above ground paste and saute well.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and saute till soft and well mashed.Then add Chilli powder,Coriander powder,Turmeric powder,Pepper powder,Garam masala powder and saute well.
- Now add the thick coconut milk and mix well on low flame.Add salt and keep on flame till gravy is thick.Turn off the flame.
- Grease a Biriyani pot and layer the bottom layer with rice.On the top ,spread the above prepared masala/gravy.On the top of this layer,spread the Sliced Eggs.On the top of the Sliced eggs,sprinkle the scrambled eggs uniformly.Again spread rice on top of this and repeat till all the rice is finished.
- Now on the top most layer,garnish with Fried Cashew nuts and raisins,Pour the saffron milk if needed uniformly in the top most layer and close the Biriyani pot with an aluminium foil and then place/close the Biriyani pot tightly with its lid.
- Heat a tawa and place the biriyani pot on it and dum it for about 20 minutes.then turn off the flame and leave it for half an hour on kitchen counter for the flavours to penetrate before serving.
- After that Serve hot with a Raita/salad,pickle and a Papad and Enjoy!
Mango is one of my family’s favourite fruit.Infact its one of the favourite fruit of millions.But the love for mango will never be complete if you havent tried Mango Icecream..!I have eaten this icecream in a couple of malls both in Chennai and Kerala.They were quite good.And this Mango season,I was craving for Mango Icecream.I It was then I got this recipe from one of my dear friends.I tried it out and Lo!,it was tastier than the mango Icecreams I had ever eaten till now!We loved it!I have been making Mango Ice creams since then,3 times a week!
Here’s the recipe for creamy and yummy no-machine vanilla ice cream. Hope you all will enjoy it as much as we did.
- Mango puree – 2 cups.
- Sugar – 3/4 cup.
- Whipping Cream – 1 cup.
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- In a Blender,blend Mango Puree,Milk and Sugar until combined well.
- Transfer this to a big bowl and add whipping cream to it and whip well with a Electric mixer till creamy and combined.
- Transfer this mixture to a broad,freezer safe,air tight box and freeze for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours,take out and grind again in a mixer until smooth and repeat the same every 1 hour for 4-5 times.
- After the last grinding(5th time),freeze overnight or for 6 hours(without interruption).
- Scoop and Serve.
- You can add Choco chips,Tuuti fruity etc to go with Icecream(But add this to Icecream after you grind it for the 5th time,thats before freezing it overnight/6 hours.Or you can add sprinkles while serving.
- You can use even Fresh and sweet Mangoes.Puree them and they must come upto 2 cups for this recipe.
The recipe of today is a simple breakfast muffin.Its very easy to prepare,quite filling and is a healthy muffin to munch on for breakfast.Its a Garlic-Parsley Mozzarella Muffin.As the name suggests,it contains Garlic,Parsley and Mozzarella as the main ingredients.In variation to the regular sweet muffins,this is a savoury muffin.Muffins have always been a hit in my family specially with my youngest 🙂 I remember how much he loved my Choco chip muffin .However, I didnt expect this muffin would be liked by him..But to my surprise he just loved it..I know that because he always dances when he eats something he loves(Psst..He is just 2 years old)…He is quite a fussy eater.So pleasing his taste buds is really a tough thing for me.But these savoury muffins really helped 🙂
This Garlic-Parsley Mozarella muffins goes perfect with a glass of milk and a few fruits.Perfect energy source to start up your day!Its very easy to make and extremely delicious and addictive!Try them out!
- All purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Garlic – 2-3 pearls(crushed)
- Parsley – 2 1/2 tbsp(Finely chopped)
- Mozzarella (Shredded) – 1/2 cup.
- Butter – 2 tbsp.
- Egg – 1
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 3/4 tsp.
- Milk – 1/2 cup.
- Oregano Flakes – 1/2 tsp(Optional,but I highly recommend)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Line the Muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl,beat egg.
- In another big bowl, Combine Flour,garlic,oregano flakes, chopped parsley, baking powder,salt .
- Add shredded Mozzarella to this and mix well.
- Now take a medium sized bowl, add milk, melted butter,half of the beaten egg and beat well with a spoon.
- Add the egg mixture to the Flour mixture.Mix well.
- Spoon this mixture into the muffin pan(lined with cupcake liner),upto 2/3 .
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top turns a light golden brown colour.
- Consume when hot/Warm and enjoy!
- You can use Parsley flakes instead of Freshly chopped Parsley.
Sending this to Haffa’s Back to school lunch Ideas
Pineapple Pulissery is a very specila dish of Kerala,a small but beautiful state in the southern most part of India..Its the land of the beautiful and serene Backwaters with its very tall coconut trees,swaying gently in the wind.Its also the land of so many people,people of different religions,cultures and back grounds living in peaceful harmony with each other.One example of this harmony is the celebration of the festival called “Onam” in Kerala..It comes around the month of August to September.It is a harvest festival in which the Keralalites or Malayalees as they are lovingly called,celebrate hand in hand with one mind irresctive of their differences.
There are many dishes which are specially prepared on this occasion..One thing I must mention is that during this day,the lunch or the Sadya as it is named are eaten on a banana leaf.
As you can see above,the number of dishes prepared for onam is endless..and the dishes vary from place to place!!One among those many dishes is Pulissery.Pulissery is usually a combo of sweetness with a small tinge of saltiness.It usually prepared with fruits like Mango,Pinapple etc.Mangp pulissery or Mambazha Pulissery uses whole skinned mangoes.On the other hand Pineapple pulissery uses tiny pieces of Pineapple.
Here in Brunei,now,being the season of pineapples,I bought a fresh Pineapple from the Market.Immediately the delicious Pineapple Pulissery came into my mind.So I thought why wait for onam to prepare this Pulissery?So I prepared it for lunch today 🙂 Soo yummy with hot and steamed rice.My family just loved it specially my hubby who just loves all Sadya dishes 🙂 ..So here I am sharing this recipe with you.
- Pineapple(Semi ripe) – 1/2 of one medium(Cut off the skin and cut into small pieces).
- Red chilli powder – 1/8tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Sugar – 3 tsp.
- Yoghurt – 1 cup
- Salt – a little.
- Curry leaves – a few
- Grated coconut – 1 cup.
- Garlic -2 pearls.
- Cumin seeds – a generous pinch
- Green chilli – 1
- Curry leaves- a few
- Yoghurt – 3/4 cup
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Fenugreek powder – 1 generous pinch.
- Dry Red chillies – 3 -4(split into two)
- Cook the pineapple pices with a little water,Chillipowder,Turmeric powder,sugar,salt and curry leaves, till it turns soft/tender.
- Grind the ingredients under “For grinding ” and add to this cooked,tender pineapple and boil this on a very low flame.
- Now to this add the remaining 1 cup of Beaten/whipped Yoghurt.Bring to boil on low flame for a minute(Keep stirring,not allowing the yoghurt mixture to curdle).Turn off the flame and keep aside.
- Now in another pan,heat oil,add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter,then add fenugreek powder(on a low flame now),then Dry red chillies and curry leaves.Pour this over on the Pineapple-Youghurt mixture and mix well.
- Yummy Pineapple Pulissery is ready.Serve with hot,steamed Rice and Enjoy!
Beef cutlets are a yummy and crunchy snack which can had both as an evening snack as well as an accompanient with rice or even Chapathis.I remember this as a regular dish when my Parents used to conduct those friends and family parties during my childhood day spent in Tanzania.I used love those alot!I used to have cutlets alone as the maincourse!!Then these remind me of the delicious aroma filling the air when I passed by the shops and small hotels in Tanzania,during the Iftar time in the Fasting period of muslims!Beef cutlets are a regular in my home.I make them atleast once a week.My kids just adore them.Do try them out in your home and see those satisfied smiles!Here goes the recipe.
- Beef – 1/2 kg(cut into cubes)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 3 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Crushed balck pepper – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 3tsp
- Onion – 1 small(chopped finely)
- Green chillies – 2 (chopped)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig(chopped small)
- Potatoes – 1 big(boiled,skinned and mashed)
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp(Chopped)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying.
- Water to cook beef – about 1 1/2 cup
- Vinegar – 1tsp
- Egg – 2(Beaten in a bowl)
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Pressure cook beef with chilli powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,crushed pepper,vinegarand garam masala for 4 whistles or until tender and when the pressure releases,open the lid and heat till all the stock/gravy evaporates.Allow to cool.
- Mince this cooled beef in a food processor/mincer/grinder and keep aside.
- In a pan,heat 1 tbsp of oil,and add ginger garlic paste and onions and chopped curry leaves ,chopped coriander leaves and green chillies and saute well.
- Now add the minced beef and combine well.Then add the mashed potato and mix everything well and turn off the flame and allo to cool.
- Make the above mixture after cooled into small balls and using your palm,shape into cutlets.
- Dip the cutlets in egg batter and then roll in the breadcrumbs and deep fry.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce/mayonnaise and Enjoy!!
- The shaped cutlets can be stored in the freezer for a month. Bring it to room temp before frying.