Did I ever tell you..?that Beetroot is one of my favourite vegetables?I guess I did in my Beetroot Carrot Stir Fry recipe …The combination Beetroot and carrot is simply awesome..So today,for this rainy evening,I decided to prepare a Bonda using these two veggies and ofcourse with aloo(Potato)…I googled and finally found a perfect recipe from a blog Indian Kitchen ..with a few modifications of my own..I made these beauties.My kids just loved it..This is one perfect snack you must never miss to try out!
- Potatoes – 3(Boiled,Skinned and Mashed)
- Beetroot -1/4 cup(grated)
- Carrot – 1/4 cup(grated)
- Onion – 1 small(Finely Chopped)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 generous pinch
- Ginger Garlic paste- 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Lime juice -1tbsp
- Chopped Coriander leaves/Cilantro – 2 tbsp.
- Oil for deep frying
For Batter :
- Besan(Gram Flour) – 1 1/2 cup.
- Rice flour – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/8 tsp.
- Baking powder – 1 pinch
- Mash the Boiled and Skinned potatoes and keep aside.
- In a pan ,heat oil and add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.Then add cumin seeds,onion,ginger garlic paste and saute well till the raw aroma disappears.
- Then add chilli powder,Coriander powder,asafoetida and saute for 20 seconds,then add the grated beetroot and carrot,along with salt to taste and saute well until the moisture is fully absorbed.Now add the mashed potatoes to it and combine well.Add lime juice and chopped corainder leaves and saute for another 2 minutes andthen put out the flame and allow to cool a bit.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, combine all the ingredients under “For Batter”.Add sufficient water to make a thick batter(Like Bajji batter) and mix well so that there is no lumps.
- Now heat oil for deep frying,in a pan.
- Make lemon sized balls of the bonda mixture.After that,dip the balls into the batter one at a time,making sure to completely cover the ball and drop it carefully into the oil.Fry uniformly on all sides until golden brown,remove,drain off excess oil on a kitcen towel and serve hot with Tomato sauce and Enjoy!!!