This post has been lying in my draft for a quite long time..Its a yellow fish curry,the typically Naadan Kerala style,Kudampuli ettu vecha(Using Kokum) naadan meen Curry(Fish Curry).I have made this a zillion times.My mother back home usually prepares Kerala Red Fish Curry …which I love to the core..
Malayalees,the people of Gods Own Country,Kerala,from Kasargod to Cochin,has different ways of preparing fish curry.It may sound funny!But its really true!In kottayam side,Fish curry is usually prepared in the form of Kerala Red Fish Curry.. but moving to the Trivandrum side or the Capital,fish curry is usually prepared in the form of Thenga aracha meen curry/Yellow Fish curry (Thats my post today).Fish curry is also dearly loved by many in the form of Varutharacha Meen curry ..
My husband being from trivandrum just loves Thenga aracha meen curry..I learnt this recipe from my Mother in law ,who is an expert cook,specially in her fish curry preparation..I have always been amazed by her speed in cooking..I just see her get in the kitchen,..and Lo! she is out..Everything ready and cooked!And very very tasty!So here goes the recipe from my Mother in
law love’s kitchen!Try it out!
- Fish – 500gms ( I used King Fish)
- Grated coconut – 1 1/2 cups
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder -2tbsp
- Kudampuli / Kokum – 2 medium pieces
- Shallots – 6-7(sliced)
- Garlic sliced – 5 cloves
- Ginger sliced – 1 inch piece
- Green chilli – 1(halved)
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Powdered fenugreek – 1 generous pinch
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil – 2-3 tbsp
- Water to cook the fish
- Clean and cut fish.
- Soak the Kudampuli/Kokum in 1/2 cup warm water for about 15 minutes.
- Grind Grated coconut , Kashmiri chili powder, turmeric powder,Coriander powder,Shallots,Ginger,Garlic,Fenugreek,Green chilli and salt to taste to a very fine paste by adding a little water and keep aside
- Heat a Pan/clay pot ( Manchatti),Add the ground paste and the soaked kudampuli/kokum with the water. Now add a little more water,just enough to cook the fish.Check salt and add if required.Allow to boil slightly.
- Add fish pieces and cook covered for 15-20 minutes or until fish pieces are cooked.
- Uncover it, drizzle a little coconut oil and a hand full of curry leaves over it and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with Rice and Enjoy!