Hi there!Today my post is of a very very delicious Naadan Kozhi curry/Kerala Chicken curry.This is a very delicious,flavourful chicken curry I prepared for lunch today.Me and my family,all of us are die hard Chicken lovers,be it fried chicken/KFC ,Tandoori Chicken or Chicken Stew or Chicken prepared with rice like Chicken Biriyani or Chicken Fried Rice or a wonderful Stuffed Chicken Roast or even in Burger form as Chicken Burger or even as Chicken 65 ,we just love it to the core 😀 .That is visible if just go through my recipes, 🙂 you may find a variety of Chicken dishes.But mine and my family’s favourite upto date is “The Naadan Kozhi curry”.The flavours of this chicken curry takes to the Southern most part of India,to the Gods Own Country ,Kerala.Thats my assurance.
I prepare this in a manchatti/Clay Earthern ware,the authentic Kerala way,not leaving any details.Preparing this in this particular vessel imparts the curry a really different flavour..I dont know how to explain that..just that it can be summarized into one word..truly,utterly,heavenly!The tanginess,the spicyness,everything power packed together in one single dish..thats my explanation of this Chicken curry.Do try it out and it will leave you thinking and drooling about the taste hours even after the dish is finished!Thats my condition now 🙂
- Chicken (with bone) – 1 kg
- Kashmiri chilli powder- 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Crushed Black pepper – 1 tsp.
- Garam masala powder – 3 tsp
- Tomatoes – 1(chopped finely)
- salt to taste
- Coconut oil- 3tbsp
- Curry leaves – a handful.
- Water – 1 cup.
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch pieces ,3 pieces.
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 3 or 4
- Fennel seeds – a generous pinch
To grind coarsely-
- Onion- 3 medium
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 5-6 pearls
- Green chilli – 3
- Curry leaves – a few.
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 3
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
To roast and add in the end-
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Garam masala – 2 tsp
- Coarsely grind the ingredients under” To grind” .
- In a pan ,roast Grated coconut and Garam masala powder till brown and keep aside.
- Heat oil in an earthern pot/Manchatti,add the whole spices and saute for a minute. then add the ground ingredients,saute well in low to medium flame for about 15 minutes until light brown colour.
- Now add in Chillipowder,Coriander powder,Turmeric powder,Crushed Black pepper and garam masala and saute well,still keeping the flame low.Now add the chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and saute again till the tomatoes are mashed well until oil seperates.Now add the chicken and curry leaves andsaute well till the masala coats the chicken well.
- Now add the rest of the water and salt and cook the chicken alternating flame from low to high till chicken is cooked.
- Then add the roasted coconut(donot grind) and mix gently and leave on low flame for 5 minutes,the keep aside.
- In a pan ,heat oil,add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Now add dry red chillies and curry leaves.Lightly fry and pour this on top of the prepared curry.
- Serve with Rice or Chapathis and Enjoy!