Hey there!Today my post is that of an evening snack.This can be had with rice as well or even Chapathis,equally tasty!.The post is Banana Flower cutlets.I usually make thoran/Stir fry with coconut using Banana flower,but today I was totally set to make something different and tastier.And it was perfect.
Banana flower is immensely rich in nutrients and high in fibre.. Along with dietary fibers, proteins and unsaturated fatty acids, banana flowers are also rich in vitamin E and flavonoids. They are part of many cuisines in the world. Also consuming one cooked banana flower with one cup of curd or yogurt is one of the most efficient way of treating excessive bleeding during menstruation.So they possess immense medicinal value. Consumption of banana flowers for 30 days may significantly reduce the blood sugar levels ..now that is something isnt it?So this is health capsules in the form of cutlets :)Do try them out and let me know!!
- Banana Flower – 1(finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 small(Chopped finely)
- Ginger(crushed) – 1 tsp
- Garlic (crushed) – 1tsp
- Green chillies – 2 small(Chopped)
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsp(Chopped)
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Crushed black pepper – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1tsp
- Potato(boiled,peeled and mashed) – 2
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves(Chopped) – 6 tbsp
- Eggs – 2(beaten)/Maida(2tbsp),dissolved in 1/2 cup water and salt to taste
- Bread crumbs – 2 cups
- Oil for deep frying
- Remove the hard purple petals of the banana flower till you see the soft petals..Now finely chop it and then wash with water and drain carefully.
- In a pan,heat oil,add the crushed ginger and garlic,onion,greenchillies,chopped curryleaves,Coriander leaves and saute for a few minutes.Now add the chopped banana flowers and combine.
- Now add the spice powders and salt and saute till banana flower gets cooked(DO NOT ADD ANY WATER FOR COOKING).
- Now add the boiled and mashed potato to this and mix well and leave aside to cool.
- Once cooled,make into balls and shape into oval shaped cutlets.
- Dip the cutlets in the beaten eggs/maida batter and coat it with bread crumbs and deep fry till golden brown .
- Drain off excess oil on the kitchen tissue and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve hot with Tomato sauce and hot cups of tea and enjoy!
- You can refrigerate the oval shaped vcutlets,dipped in egg/maida batter and coated with bread crumbs for 2 -3 days and take and fry when required.
- Adding bread crumbs while mixing the banana flower potato mixture,will make it even more tastier.