Pineapple Pulissery is a very specila dish of Kerala,a small but beautiful state in the southern most part of India..Its the land of the beautiful and serene Backwaters with its very tall coconut trees,swaying gently in the wind.Its also the land of so many people,people of different religions,cultures and back grounds living in peaceful harmony with each other.One example of this harmony is the celebration of the festival called “Onam” in Kerala..It comes around the month of August to September.It is a harvest festival in which the Keralalites or Malayalees as they are lovingly called,celebrate hand in hand with one mind irresctive of their differences.
There are many dishes which are specially prepared on this occasion..One thing I must mention is that during this day,the lunch or the Sadya as it is named are eaten on a banana leaf.
As you can see above,the number of dishes prepared for onam is endless..and the dishes vary from place to place!!One among those many dishes is Pulissery.Pulissery is usually a combo of sweetness with a small tinge of saltiness.It usually prepared with fruits like Mango,Pinapple etc.Mangp pulissery or Mambazha Pulissery uses whole skinned mangoes.On the other hand Pineapple pulissery uses tiny pieces of Pineapple.
Here in Brunei,now,being the season of pineapples,I bought a fresh Pineapple from the Market.Immediately the delicious Pineapple Pulissery came into my mind.So I thought why wait for onam to prepare this Pulissery?So I prepared it for lunch today 🙂 Soo yummy with hot and steamed rice.My family just loved it specially my hubby who just loves all Sadya dishes 🙂 ..So here I am sharing this recipe with you.
- Pineapple(Semi ripe) – 1/2 of one medium(Cut off the skin and cut into small pieces).
- Red chilli powder – 1/8tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Sugar – 3 tsp.
- Yoghurt – 1 cup
- Salt – a little.
- Curry leaves – a few
- Grated coconut – 1 cup.
- Garlic -2 pearls.
- Cumin seeds – a generous pinch
- Green chilli – 1
- Curry leaves- a few
- Yoghurt – 3/4 cup
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Fenugreek powder – 1 generous pinch.
- Dry Red chillies – 3 -4(split into two)
- Cook the pineapple pices with a little water,Chillipowder,Turmeric powder,sugar,salt and curry leaves, till it turns soft/tender.
- Grind the ingredients under “For grinding ” and add to this cooked,tender pineapple and boil this on a very low flame.
- Now to this add the remaining 1 cup of Beaten/whipped Yoghurt.Bring to boil on low flame for a minute(Keep stirring,not allowing the yoghurt mixture to curdle).Turn off the flame and keep aside.
- Now in another pan,heat oil,add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter,then add fenugreek powder(on a low flame now),then Dry red chillies and curry leaves.Pour this over on the Pineapple-Youghurt mixture and mix well.
- Yummy Pineapple Pulissery is ready.Serve with hot,steamed Rice and Enjoy!