Beetroot Pachadi is a typical Kerala/SouthIndian side dish thats soo well with hot steamed Rice.Its a regular at the Onam Sadyas as well as Hindu Marraiges.It has a mild and sweet taste,sweetness contributed by the beetroots ang the coconut paste added to it,while the Yoghurt added to it adds a gentle sour kick to it,not to forget the mild spicy kick provided by the Green Chillies.The Coconut oil added in the Tempering adds a unique flavour to it!Its quite easy to make and very delicious!Here goes the recipe straight from my Amma’s Kitchen!
- Beetroots – 2 cups(Peeled and grated)
- Yoghurt – 1 cup(Beaten well to remove lumps)
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste.
For Coconut Paste:
- Grated Coconut – 3/4 cup.
- Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp.
- Green Chilli – 1
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves – a few
- Shallots – 2(Sliced)
- Dried Red Chillies – 2 (Halved)
- Fenugreek powder – 1 pinch.
- In a pan,cook grated Beetroot with water and salt till soft.Allow to cool,grind it and transfer it back to the pan.
- Grind the ingredients under “For Coconut paste” with 3 tbsp of water and pour it into the ground Beetroot in the pan.Mix and cook on low flame for 5 minutes to remove the raw taste.
- Turn off the flame.Now to this pan , add the beaten yoghurt and combine well.Add salt if needed and keep it aside.
- In another pan,heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds.Wait till it splutters.Now add shallots,Red chillies,Curry leaves and saute.Now add a pinch of fenugreek powder and turn out the flame.
- Pour this into the Beetroot Mixture and gently Combine.Transfer this to a serving dish and serve with hot Rice and Enjoy!!