Fruit Custard or Fruit Salad with Custard as I call it is one of those sweet dishes or desserts I and my brother have grown up with.It was one of our favourites and we kids used to make it ourselves,ofcourse our mom used to help us with the Custard sauce!My mom, I remember used to make mixed fruit jelly for the Topping along with it 🙂 Wish I could go back to those days…my childhood!
My kids are the fussiest eaters.They dont eat any kind of fruits.I was sadly talking about this to my Mom over the phone the other day.Thats when she asked me to try making this Fruit Salad for them.She said that was the way she used to make me n my brother who were the fussy eaters then,eat fruits..he he..History repeats doesnt it? Well…I decided to give it a go..I made the fruit salad with Custard Topping..At first seeing the fruits,my kids were a little unsure of eating..but I after they just tasted it,they ate two bowls!!!Oh…am I soo happy!!I have decided to make this regularly…Thanks to my dearest Mom n ofcourse to this Wonderfully delicious Recipe,now my kids love fruits,though in the form of this Fruit Salad,So does my first Child…ofcourse My dearest Hubby ❤
Heres the recipe!Try it and bring a lot of happiness to your family!Happy cooking!
- Apple – 2 (Peeled,and cut into tiny pieces)
- Orange – 2
- Banana – 2(Peeled and cut into tiny pieces)
- Pineapple – 3/4 cup(Tiny pieces)
- Mangoes – 1/2 cup(Tiny pieces)
- Dates – 7-8(Cut into tiny pieces)
- Cherries – 1/4 cup(glazed cherries)
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Sugar-4 tbsp.
For Custard Sauce:
- Milk – 2 cups.
- Vanilla Custard Powder – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 4 tbsp.
- In a small bowl,dissolve the custard powder in 1/4 cup of milk and keep aside.
- Bring the rest of the milk to boil in a sauce pan,and add sugar and mix well.Slowly to this add the above prepared milk and custard powder mixture and continue to cook until thick for about 6 – 7 minutes,constantly stirring.Remove from fire, cool completely, and refrigerate.
- Now in another sauce pan,cook the 1/4 cup water along with 4tbsp sugar for about 3-4 mins until the syrup thickens a bit. It doesn’t need to be one-string.
- Remove from fire,allow to cool completely.Add the chopped fruits,cherries and dates to this and refrigerate.
- To serve,add 1/2 cup of the fruit salad to a bowl and top off with 1/2 cup custard sauce and Enjoy!
- Add and subtract fruits according to your preference but I highly recommend the bananas and cherries!
- You can add more custard powder to make the sauce thicker.I prefer only a slightly thick custard with more focus on fruits.