Today my post is the very simple and humble yet super delicious Poori Bhaji!It is a dry,yet a little moist potato dish that served usually with Pooris along with Pickles and Lemon wedges.
This was my family’s regular morning breakast,we used to have whenever we used to have food from the very famous Arya bhavan chain of hotels in Kerala,after our morning Mass in the Church.After 2 hours in the church on an empty stomach,this was a treat indeed!The taste is simply heavenly if you squeeze the lemon wedges over the Bhaji!God…Mouthwatering isnt it!Try it out and Enjoy!
- Potatoes – 4(medium sized)(Boiled,peeled and cubed)
- Onion – 1 (large sized onion,chopped finely)
- Green Chilli – 1(Chopped)
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal/Black split gram – 1 1/2 tsp
- Water – 3/4 cup.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – a pinch
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1 inch piece(Finely crushed)
- Curry leaves – a handful.
- Oil – 2 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan,add mustard seeds and when they crackle,add cumin seeds and Urad Dal/Black Split gram and saute a little.
- When the Urad Dal/Black Split gram starts to brown slightly,add chopped onions and saute till transparent.Now add the crushed ginger,green chilli and curry leaves.
- Now add turmeric and asafoetida and saute well,taking care not to burn the turmeric powder.Now add the chopped/cubed potatoes, and half of the coriander leaves and saute gently.
- Add ¾ water and salt. stir and cover the pan.Let the bhaji simmer for 5-6 minutes on a low flame so that there should be some moisture in the bhaji and it should not be very dry.
- Turn off the flame and Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the remaining Coriander leaves/cilantro and serve with hot pooris or even Chapathis and Enjoy!