Hello there!Hope your weekend was good and you had a good rest 🙂 Well mine was a hectic one as usual…! Week ends are those very busy days for me..with kids running around..everywhere..guests visiting..and ofcourse church!So I dont get much time to cook and usually adjust with some easy to make dishes.. 🙂 So today I happened to have a lot of Brinjals/Eggplant in my veggie tray..Now now..Brinjal is not my kind of veggie 😦 And I mostly buy them only to use them in preparing Sambar…But today I had way too many Eggplants..So I decided to relive those care free,good old Chennai Memories!
Well coming to Chennai memories,I was newly married..the year 2006..and I was working at that time..and This was one of those side dishes I used to prepare when I was in a hurry..Ofcourse I used to wake up late,hurry burry,prepare rice,and this dish along with curd/Yoghurt..then I used to rush to my site 🙂 This was one delicious side dish…the taste used to linger on your tongue for quite some time even after you had finished your lunch ages ago!And now after 8 long years ,with 3 kids..so many changes in my life..I still remember that delicious dish!Now I usually prepare this during the Easter Lent when I dont take any Non Veg Food.There is one reason for this.Ours is a family which consumes fish 3 times a day 🙂 (Now dont laugh at me)..This dish,though completely vegetarian has a very similar taste to fish fry..may be beacause of the similarity in its masala 🙂 So we have this as a sidedish for lunch and dinner during the times of Lent!
So let me tell you one thing..Are you in a hurry?Only got 8-10 minutes to spare for cooking a side dish for lunch?Then this is the dish for you!Believe me!You will really love it to the core,even if you are not a Eggplant/Brinjal Lover !!
- Eggplants/Brinjal – 3 (big)(thinly sliced into round shape)
- Red chilli Powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Crushed Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Powder – 1 fat pinch(I used,optional though)
- Lime juice – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
- Oil for shallow frying the Brinjal/Egg plants.
- Marinate the Eggplant/Brinjal slices with Red Chilli Powder,Turmeric Powder,Crushed Black Pepper,Fenugreek Powder,Lime juice and Salt and leave aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and place the marinated Eggplant slices and fry them on both sides till browned evenly on low flame.
- Transfer to a serving plate and Serve with Hot steamed rice and Moru/Curd and Enjoy!