After my last post of Chocolate cake with chocolate glaze..and the loving feedback I got from dear friends,neighbours and my family..I was very much into the mood of baking..So today evening I decided to bake something..something different..something savoury..!I remembered how much we enjoyed the Garlic Mozzarella muffins I baked last month.So I thought to incorporate that idea but using some greens this time.The main problem that was disturbing in my mind was about my youngest 2 year old man 😉 He is by far the fussiest eater in the universe..All he prefers is just plain rice with no greens 😦 and french fries.Cant give him that all the time.And the doctor had been regularly asking me to try and change his food habits..I happened to have a huge Broccoli in my refrigerator..so i decided to use that!I found this recipe here,along with a few modifications from my side.
One thing I must mention here is that when you bake these savoury babies..the aroma filling the air..is really really awesome!!And the happiest part for me is my lil man just LOVED it!!I was wonderstruck..him n Broccoli!!No way!But he just loved it!Now I am going to bake these often!My family loved it too!I share a few with my neighbour too(You know she is quite frank and a good food critic) and she said they tasted wonderful!
You know you can substitute the broccoli with almost any kinda veggies u like or even you can use meat!And this is a very easy recipe perfect for breakfast as well as with tea!Or you can have as for Brunch too!Try it out!
- All purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Wheat Flour – 2 cups.
- Instant yeast – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Water – as needed.
- Olive Oil 1-2 tbsp
- Butter 2-3 tbsp or as needed
- Milk 2 tbsp (for brushing)
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp or as needed
For the Filling:
- Broccoli (Chopped finely) – 1 1/4 cup.
- Red Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves(finely crushed)
- Ground Cumin / Cumin powder -1/4 tsp
- Red chili Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil 1-2 tsp
- Mozzarella cheese(shredded) – 1/2 cup
- Pasta sauce/Tomato Sauce/Pizza sauce – 1/4 cup.
- Sift flours into a big mixing bowl.
- Add yeast and salt and mix well and add sufficient water and knead into a soft and smooth dough.
- Now drizzle oil onto the dough and again knead it for about 10 minutes into a smooth dough.
- Then apply a few drops of oil all over the dough and cover the bowl using a cling wrap or a wet cloth and leave aside in a warm place for about 40 – 45 minutes or until it doubles its volume.
- Meanwhile lets prepare the Broccoli filling.
- Heat oil in a pan,add onion and garlic and saute well for a few minutes.Then add chopped Broccoli and saute well.Now add all the spice powders and salt and saute till it emits an aroma.
- Now turn off the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Once the dough has risen to double its size,preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit or 180 degree Celsius.
- Grease the muffin tray with olive oil or cooking spray and keep aside.
- Now punch down the air in the dough and knead again for a few seconds.Now divide the dough in to two equal parts, take one portion and on a well floured surface roll the dough to a round 1/4″ thick shape using a rolling pin.
- Now apply butter all over surface of the rolled dough(round shaped) and spread all over it and add 2-3 tbsp for broccoli filling,with shredded mozzarella cheese on the top and start rolling from one end and completely.
- Then cut the rolled roll in to 6-7 equal small rolls and place in the greased muffin pans.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining portion and arrange everything on the baking pan and sprinkle remaining butter on top and smear pasta sauce on the top(Using the back of a spoon)and brush with milk, sprinkle some sesame seeds.Do this for all the roll muffins and bake them for 20-25 minutes or till the top turns crispy and golden brown.
- After this remove from the oven,allow to cool on a wire rack till warm.. and serve and Enjoy!