Long time friends….!Its been a long while since I posted anything on my Blog..Sometimes life and our dear ones keeps us soo busy..we dont get time for any thing..
Today my post is of a simple and very easy Uzhunnu Vada,a typical of the Kerala naadan chaya kadas(Tea stalls)..Deep inside of every Malayali,an evening is perfect with a cup of tea and choodu(hot) Uzhunnu Vada..I have been making this for the past 5 years..This is a very easy recipe even for a beginner and it makes perfect Vadas.Try it out!
- Uzhunnu Parippu/Urad Dal/Black Gram Dal – 2 cups
- Rice Flour – 2 1/2 tbsps(optional)
- Onion chopped – 1/4 cups.
- Green chillies – 2 chopped finely.
- Black pepper corns – 2 tbsps(whole)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs.
- Ginger – 1 inch piece(finely chopped).
- Baking soda – 1 pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying.
- Soak Black Gram Dal/Urad dal in water for about 1 hour.
- Drain the water away after 1 hour and grind in a grinder,without adding water,until you get a fluffy and thick paste.Incase your grinder doesnt grind well,sprinkle a little water and grind to get a batter as thick as possible.
- Now transfer this batter to a bowl and stir with a spoon just once.To this batter,addRice flour and mix well with spoon to avoid any lumps.Then add chopped onion,green chillies,Whole Black pepper corns,curry leaves,chopped ginger,Baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Wet the palms of your hand and Take a little batter(half a hand full) in your palm,make into a round ball shape,gently flatten it,make a hole with one finger and gently drop it into the oil with care.Remember to wet your palm each time you flatten the batter in your palms.
- Fry till golden brown on both sides,alternating the flame from high to medium.
- Drain the excess oil on a kitchen towel.Serve hot with Sambar and Chutney and a hot cup of Coffee/Tea and Enjoy!
- Adding Rice flour makes the Vadas/Fritters crispy.
- You can add grated carrot to the batter to make it nutritious.