The initial years of our marraige are unforgettable..as it is for everybody 🙂 We spent them in Chennai..both of us working and evenings ususually spent at some malls,cinema and some time at the Elliot’s Beach,popularly known as the “Besant Nagar Beach”..still one of my very favourite places until today!There is some thing about that beach..something I have never experienced at any beaches before..Is it the cool gentle refreshing breeze cooling us after a busy day at work or the sounds of the bells at the church ringing reminding us that Mother Mary will be with us at every stages of our lives!..or the salt cleansing us or the setting sun embracing us with its warmth?If you are some one who loves the charm and allure of the Ocean,then I strongly recommend Besant Nagar Beach in Chennai!!
You must be wondering why I am talking about Besant nagar Beach when My post today is about Mulaku Bajji 🙂 Well..this is the place where I got introduced to this fried fritters.This is one of the most popular tea time snack in South India.It is prepared by deep frying the batter coated Banana Peppers.
When we set foot on this beach,we are welcomed by the distinctive aroma of deep fried bell peppers..ahh..so heavenly.So today evening I decided to give a try to prepare this delicious fritters for tea and here it is!
- Banana peppers/Bajji mulaku – 6 -8 nos.
- Gram Flour/Kadala Mavu – 1 cup.
- Rice Flour – 2 1/2 tbsp.
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
- Baking Soda – 1 pinch
- Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp.
- Asafoetida – 2 pinches.
- Water as needed.
- Salt to taste.
- Oil to deep fry.
- In a bowl ,combine all the ingredients,except the Banana peppers,and make a thick batter.
- Carefully make a slit,lenghthwise on the banana pepper and remove the seeds.This step is optional.If you want a spicier bajji ,do not discard the seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry.turn the flame to medium.Now dip the banana peppers/Bajji Mulaku deeply in the batter and deep fry until golden colour all over and till crisp.
- Transfer to a plate and drain on a kitchen towel to remove the excess oil and serve hot with a cup of hot tea and Enjoy!!