This dish brings along with it a lot of memories of my childhood!When I did my schooling..just 3 years in kerala,staying with my grandparents..it brings a smile and also a tear on my face..a smile thinking about all that pampering and affection I used to get,being the first and only grandchild on both my maternal and paternal side(At that time 🙂 !Now I have a lot of cousins 🙂 ) and a tear thinking how much I miss my dearest GrandFather who passed away 3 years back..All those days spent with him..just feels like yesterday..How fast time flies!I remember the scene..years aback..the time when I came back from my school..our backyard would be buzzing with activity..lots of workers,bringing the harvest from the paddy fields..threshing,winnowing,the naadan pattu(Local folk songs)…etc..Nowadays there are machines which makes these processes a lot more easier with less labour..nothing like before 😦 So all these remain memories!We dont get to see them today.
The staple food of these workers used to be Kappa Puzhungiyathu(Boiled Tapioca) with Kanthari Mulaku Chammanthi..Our chechi (Help) at home,I remember used to prepare it in big vessels for all the workers with her trademark “kanthai Mulaku Chammanthi”.I just loved watching them eat this dish…my mouth watering..and I used eat it sitting with them 🙂 I can never forget that taste..!The memory of it just leaves me salivating even today 🙂 So to relive those days,I prepared this today for tea!One thing I assure you..the smell and taste of the Kanthari mulaku chammathi will linger for long in your mouth hours after you have devoured it.The chammanthi(Chutney) is made out of fiery Kanthari Mulaku also called Birds eye chillies!These chillies may appear small,deceiving to the eyes,but they set your tongue literally on fire Mind You!
So Try this very special dish for a sunny/rainy evening with a hot glass of Black Tea!!
KAPPA PUZHUNGIYATHU/BOILED TAPIOCA
- Tapioca/Kappa/Cassava/Yucca Root .
- Water – as required to cook.
- Salt to taste.
- Wash and clean the kappa.Remove the outer brown skin and the inner pink skin of the kappa/Tapioca.
- Cut into 2.5 inch pieces and wash well again.Now transfer these in a large vessel filled with water,the water level upto atleast 2.5 inches above the level of Tapioca.
- Add salt and cook covered till soft and tender.Then drain the water and keep aside.
KANTHARI MULAKU CHAMMANTHI
- Kanthari mulaku /Bird’s eye chilly or regular green chilies – 8
- Shallots/Cheriya Ulli – 12
- Curry leaves – a few.
- Coconut oil – 3 tbsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Crush the chillies,curry leaves and the shallots in a pestle and Mortar.If you dont have one,you can coarsely grind them in your mixer.
- Transfer this to a small bowl,add coconut oil and salt.Mix gently.
- Serve immediately with hot Tapioca and a glass of hot Black Tea and Enjoy!