An Onam Sadya is unimaginable without Parippu curry.Choru,parippu curry ,Pappadam and Neyu(Melted Ghee)..Have you tried that combination?Its awesome!If you haven’t..You seriously must!The recipe is actually too simple..You might think then why I am sharing this recipe..! Well there might be a lot of beginners out there like how how I was a few years back…God..cant imagine those times when I didn’t even know the basics of cooking..!All I knew was how to make a tea and an omelette..I got more involved into cooking after I became a mother to a toddler..Funny isn’t it…Thats how life is.
Lets come to the recipe..This parippu curry is usually prepared at my home using Tur dal..but my Mom in law prepares it with green gram dal(Moong dal)..I find that more tasty and authentic ..Ofcourse recipes differ with different regions..For example take the example of the simple Fish curry..At my home its prepared as the typical Kottayam style fiery Kudampuli ittu vecha Red Fish curry…Oh I love that soo much..Amma even prepares makes Fish pappas,where Fish is marinated and fried and then cooked in a coconut milk gravy..So mouthwatering !Back in my husbands home,its the Tenga aracha nadan Fish curry,Trivandrum style..My mom in law even prepares it in the form of Varutharacha Fish curry,my hubby’s very favourite.Now if you travel further to Trissur ,I heard from one of my friends from Trissur that fish is cooked in coconut milk with Kudampuli…the typical Trissur style Fish curry..I have tried that too..You will find the recipe soon in my Blog.
Oh God…I always have tendency to stray away from the subject..I start with something and end up with something totally different..Okay…not any more.Lets come to the recipe of the authentic Kerala Sadya parippu curry.
- Moong Dal – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 2 pinches
- Salt to taste.
- Water- to cook the Dal
- Grated coconut – ½ cup.
- Cumin – ½ tsp.
- Garlic clove – 1 or 2(Depending on the size)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsps
- Dried Red chillies – 3
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Shallots – 4(sliced thinly)
- Cook moong dal along with turmeric powder, salt and water until soft and mushy and keep aside.
- Grind grated coconut along with cumin seeds and garlic and a little water to a smooth paste.
- Add this mixture to the mashed dal and mix well.Heat this on a low flame.
- In another pan simultaneously heat oil, add mustard. When it crackles, add Red chillies, Curry leaves and the shallots and sauté till shallots are light brown and golden. Turn off the flame and add this to the Dal and mix.
- Add a little water if too thick. Add salt if needed. Turn off the flame and Serve hot with Rice, Pappadam and Ghee and Enjoy!!