Like everybody I hold a strong love for the country where I was born..!I was born in a beautiful country located in the Eastern part of the African Continent…”Tanzania”. I might not be an African, but this country always occupies a special warm place in my heart!
Tanzania is a land of tropical forests, savannah grasslands, mountains, shimmering lakes, sandy beaches with its clear waters and coral reefs.The tourist attractions in this country are practically unlimited.It holds one of the greatest wild life refuges in the world…and is popularly known for its wild life safaris. It has numerous game parks like the Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Mikumi, Lake Manyara(the home of the countless number of Flamingos) and not to forget the Mount Kilimanjaro,which is a permanently snow capped mountain.
Tanzania has a fascinating mix of people,religions and cultures.There are a numerous population of Indians, Arabs, Persian and people from many countries settled there.This has had a humongous influence on the Food and the cuisines of Africa..and there are a wide range of such foreign inspired dishes..one such dish being the Tanzanian Pilau which is a Persian inspired Dish.I got this recipe from here and added my own changes to the original recipe.This is a dish I prepare atleast twice in a month.Its easy and extremely delicious.
This Tanzanian Pilau is a dish in which Rice is initially sauted in butter/oil/ghee with whole dry spices and is cooked to perfection in a seasoned broth..here in this recipe the broth being chicken broth.I have added my own additions to the recipe to elevate the taste of the Pilau to the peak.So..Happy cooking!!
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Cinnamon – 3 1 inch pieces.
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 5
- Bay leaves – 1
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chicken– 1/2 kg(Washed,cut into small pieces)
- Onion sliced – 2 cups.
- Green chilli -1
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 1/2 tsp
- Tomato – 1 big(Chopped)
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 heaped tsp.
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Coconut milk – 1/4 cup.
- Cilantro and mint leaves chopped – both together (1 cup)
- Cashew nuts– 8(fried in ghee)
- Raisins -8(fried in ghee)
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Caramalised onions to garnish
- Heat oil in a Pressure Cooker,and add Ginger garlic paste and Onions,green chilli and saute till onions turns transparent.
- Now add Chilli powder,coriander powder,Turmeric powder,Garam masala powder and pepper powder and mix well.To this add the chopped tomatoes and saute well till oil seperates.Now add the chicken pieces and salt and saute well.
- Add about 2 1/2 cups of water and close and cook for 3 whistles.When the pressure releases,seperate the chicken and stock and keep aside.
- Now In a pressure cooker,heat ghee,add the whole spices,cilantro and mint leaves,Now add the rice,saute till each grain seperates,now add the stock(separated from above) along with water (Both should come to 4 cups).
- To this add the coconut milk and salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles.When pressure releases,fluff gently with a fork.
- In a pan ,heat oil and shallow fry the cooked chicken pieces till golden brown.
- Layer the chicken with the rice in a serving dish and garnish with cashewnuts,raisins and caramilsed fried onions.Serve hot with Kachumbari(Salad made with Chopped tomatoes,onions and mixed with lime juice and a dash of salt) and Enjoy!!