During my childhood days in Tanzania, I remember my school time was from afternoon 1pm to 6pm.Our home used was at a walkable distance from school.And during my short walk from school,I would be totally famished.On the way there used to a many restaurants run by Gujaratis.
Did I tell you? In Tanzania,Daressalaam (The capital) to be precise;there was a huge population of Gujaratis.And as gujarati food was very popular,there were many restaurants serving Gujarati food. Many a times, I had been to these restaurants, be it the birthday treat of a classmate or my hunger pangs ..One of the snacks that attracted me the most was Special Potato Balls(Though it didn’t belong to Gujarati cuisine)..It was soo tasty..I never could guess its ingredients though..May be I was too small for that ha ha..Later after I completed my schooling, we heavy heartedly left Tanzania, and returned back to India. But several years later,after my marriage in India,I was lucky to go back to Tanzania ..I was once again re-living my childhood memories. The place had not changed one bit..except a few new buildings had come up and road made into a 4 laned one…But the restaurants were still there in the same place with its Old Glory and Pride after all these years.I didn’t have to think twice when I placed an order – Gujarati Thali and Special Potato Balls to munch on..The great taste still remained the same..Oh soo awesome…I still couldn’t guess the ingredients..I gathered courage and asked the waiter what these were really made of(You know all restaurants do not reveal the ingredients..I have had several experiences ha ha)..He smiled and replied Potato and Bread…I wondered…all these years I had tried many ways to make this potato snack..i had tried different versions…But still I couldn’t get that particular taste..I never guessed that the secret ingredient was nothing but “Bread”….
On reaching back home,I tried it the very next day evening…and this time I was satisfied! And Now I have been making this like crazy..say every week..and its extremely tasty and my family loves it.Here goes my recipe.
- Potatoes – 2 big(boiled,skinned and mashed)
- Bread – 3 slices.
- Crushed Ginger – 1 tsp.
- Crushed Garlic – 1 tsp.
- Mint leaves(Finely chopped) – 2 tsp.
- Coriander leaves (Finely chopped) – 2tsp.
- Salt as needed.
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Corn Flour – 1 tbsp
- All purpose Flour/Maida – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp.
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp.
- Oil for deep frying.
- Immerse the bread slices one by one, in a bowl of water and then take out the slices and squeeze away the excess water .
- Add this water soaked slices to the Mashed Potatoes and using clean hands,squeeze and combine.Then to this mixture,add ingredients mentioned above under 3 to 12.DO NOT ADD WATER AT ALL.Combine well and knead into a soft dough.
- Now pinch small portions from the dough and using your palms ,roll into balls.
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry.
- Add the balls into the oil and fry till golden brown.Remove the fried balls and drain off the excess oil on a kitchen towel.Serve hot with tomato sauce and Enjoy!!
- While kneading the dough,do not add water as there is enough moisture from the wet bread slices.
- Applying oil to fingers and palms and then rolling into balls will make prevent the dough from sticking onto the hands during rolling.