Good Friday commemorates the day when Jesus Christ was crucified on the cross.During my childhood I remember my memories of going to church on Good Friday then having Hot steaming Kanji(Rice Gruel) wit Cherupayaru Thoran(Greengram-coconut stirfry) and Naranga Achar(Lime pickle) at home.There would be no non veg dishes on that day even for us kids.So the picture that I had in my mind was that.And one day my uncle asked me “Do you know what is Good Friday kid?” and I was like..”The day Jesus died and so we have Kanji at home?..” You may laugh at me..but that was seriously what I thought! Childhood Innocence..!Then during my college days we had leave during the Holy week.Of that I had a clear memory..everyone in our family, we used to go to church on Good Friday. After a cup of tea in the morning,it would be fasting time for us.Then we would go to church and we would then break the fast with some Kanji payaru papadam and achar,served at church.It would be taste soooo delicious after the 5-6 hour long fast.I don’t know if all churches have that practice of serving Kanji on Good Friday…but still..I make it a point to prepare Kanji and Payaru thoran with Papadam and Achar for Good Friday Lunch at home. Its extrememly delicious,healthy and easily digestable.And not to mention its the authentic traditional comfort food of Gods own Country – Kerala!
RECIPE OF KANJI(RICE GRUEL):
- Parboiled Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 4 cup(You can use more water if you prefer)
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the rice and set aside.
- In a pot or a big vessel, bring water to boil.Add the washed rice and cook till the rice grains are soft.You can add more water if you want.
- Transfer it to a serving plate/dish, add salt to taste and Enjoy.
RECIPE OF CHERU PAYARU THORAN( GREEN GRAM –COCONUT STIR FRY):
- Cherupayaru/Green Gram/Moong beans – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 small(Finely chopped)
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup/
- Garlic(Crushed with skin on) – 2 cloves.
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
- Crushed Black Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp.
- Curry leaves – a sprig.
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Water – just enough to cook the Cherupayaru/Green gram.
- Pressure cook the Cherupayaru with water and salt for 3 whistles or till soft.If you don’t have a pressure cooker,you can cook cherupayaru in a vessel with water and salt till soft.Set aside.
- In a pan,heat coconut oil and add mustard. When it crackles, add curry leaves,Crushed garlic(with skin),chopped Onion, Grated coconut and turmeric powder and sauté well for 1 minute.To this add the cooked Cherupayaru and combine gently.
- Add Crushed Pepper and gently mix again.Add salt if needed.Transfer to a serving dish along with hot steaming Kanji ,Fried Papadams and Pickle of your choice and Enjoy!!
- Do not over cook the Cherupayaru/Green gram or else while sautéing,it will be totally mashed up.