Vattayappam is one of the most simple yet delicious Kerala snacks. It is very easy to prepare and easily digestible. It is loved by kids and adults alike.
- Rice Flour – 2 cups
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Cooked Rice – 2 handfulls
- Sugar – to taste(I added ½ cup)
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Yeast – ½ tsp
- Sugar(needed for yeast) – ½ tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Lukewarm water – ¼ glass (for yeast)
- Raisins – a few(for garnishing)
- In a grinder, grind the Rice flour, Grated coconut, Cooked Rice along with a little water into a smooth batter of medium consistency.
- Take ¼ glass of lukewarm water and add yeast and ½ tsp of sugar.Allow it to rise.
- Add this mixture into the above batter.Mix well and keep aside for 2 to 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, add Sugar(to taste),cardamom powder,salt and mix well.
- Apply a little ghee/oil in a cake tin and pour the batter into it.Sprinkle a few raisins on the top and steam for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove and cut into slices and Enjoy with a hot cup of tea and Enjoy!,
I usually use 1 tsp of vanilla essence instead of Cardamom powder in vattayapam.It might sound odd but it really elevates its taste to another level.