Easter is a time of great Joy and Celebration..It is of great significance as it is the day Lord Jesus rose up from the dead..and for children all over the world, it a time of anticipation for the Easter Bunny who brings his treasure baskets full of Chocolatey Easter eggs. And for kids like mine, they love to do the treasure hunting for Easter Chocolate eggs.So after the morning Easter service at the church and a hearty breakfast of the Easter special Appam and Chicken Stew, my job is to make a treasure map for them to search for the Easter eggs .Usually I buy Kinderjoys and hide them at different places in the garden or the house…leaving clues etc…its a lot of work, but seeing their happy faces and shrieks of joy ,it is worth the trouble.
This Easter how ever, i went a little further. I decided to make them Easter eggs and wrap them in shiny wrappers and hide them as usual. I wracked my brain thinking of ideas of making chocolate Easter eggs..it was then that i thought of making Chocolate cake Easter eggs..(I had some left over chocolate cake in my refrigerator).So i made them..And guess what..? Before I could even wrap them, they vanished ha ha..They loved it a lot…!
If you have left over chocolate cake and Buttercream frosting at hand, then these Yummilicious Easter cake Eggs are an easy to do kinda thing. No further delay…heading on to the recipe.
- Left over cake crumbs – 5 cups(I used Chocolate cake)
- Frosting of your choice – 1/2 to 1 cup(I used Butter cream Frosting)
- Dark chocolate – 200 gms (melted over double boiler)
- White Chocolate – 10o gms (melted over double boiler)
- In a large bowl,crumble up the cake that it looks ,like coarse bread crumbs.(using clean hands)
- Add 1/2 a cup of frosting to start with and mix well with fingers to a consistency(If the balls fall or break apart,add more frosting) that it can be made into lemon sized balls which do not break up.
- Using fingers,roll into egg shape one by one and keep on a plate.Place these ‘cake eggs’ in the refrigerator and chill for 15 to 20 minutes.(This is done to harden the egg shaped balls).
- While the eggs are chilling in the refrigerator,melt the dark chocolate and keep aside to cool.Melt the white chocolate now and cool and pour it inti a ziploc bag and snip off its tip(a little bit) .
- Now place(DO NOT PIERCE) the egg shaped balls on a fork(I advise a fork because it drains off the excess chocolate after dipping) and dip into the melted dark chocolate one by one and keep on a dry plate.
- After 5 minutes or once the chocolate coating on the egg shaped balls are dry,make designs on the egg shaped balls with the white chocolate in the ziploc bags by gently pressing them onto the balls.
- Allow to dry and then gently wrap them using shiny wrappers or you can arrange them in a box and serve and Enjoy!!
- You can even skip the white chocolate and top them with some sprinkles or chopped nuts.
- You can insert lollipop sticks into the cake balls and serve them as cake pops!!