Ada Pradhaman or Ada Payasam is an unavoidable payasam during Onam or Vishu.It is usually served steaming hot after the traditional Sadya on Banana Leaves.But I like mine chilled.I don’t usually wait all the way till Onam to prepare Ada Payasam.I prepare it whenever Ada is available here at the stores.Though our kids prefer the “white” Semiya Payasam more, me and my husband are one crazy Ada Payasam loving couple.
During my childhood days I remember that the Sadya was prepared usually by our Pushpalatha chechi (I don’t like to call her as our help at home, because over the years ,she is more than that..infact she is a part our family).I must mention her Kaipunyam or to be precise that ‘magical touch’ to transform even the least tastiest/bland ingredients to delicious dishes.I don’t know how she does that.Ok..coming back to the topic..she used to prepare such yummy sadyas during Onam.To top it all,there was this amazingly delicious Ada Payasam made by my maternal Grandma, whom I lovingly call Ammamma, who used to visit us during Onam. This recipe is hers. It is such a simple recipe, easy for even beginners, but the taste it imparts is really out of the world!!!Try it.
- Rice Ada /Rice Flakes – I used a 250gm packet.
- Jaggery(sharkara) – 500 gms.
- Thin Coconut milk (Randam Pal) – 2 ½ cup.
- Thick Coconut milk (Onnam Pal) – 1 cup
- Cashews and Raisins to garnish.
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp.
- Dried Ginger Powder/Chukku podi – ¾ tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp or as needed.
- Boil water in a vessel and cook the ada in it for around 20 minutes or till soft.Strain it and rinse it with cold water and keep aside.
- Grate the jaggery and boil and melt it in 1 ½ cups of water.Strain it and keep aside.
- Now in a deep pan, heat ghee. Fry the raisins and Cashews , Remove and keep aside on a kitchen Towel.
- In the same oil,add the cooked Ada and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes on medium to low flame.(Add more ghee if required).
- Now add the melted Jaggery and cook in medium heat for a few minutes until thick. Then add the thin coconut milk and bring the flame to medium and cook till it thickens. Now add the Thick Coconut Milk and mix well. Add the Cardamom powder, Dried Ginger powder. Mix well. Cook for a minute. Turn off the flame. Garnish with Fried Cashews and Raisins. Serve hot or cold and Enjoy!!
Along with the cashews and Raisins, you can also fry and add some Coconut slices/Thenga Kothu if needed.