Last year, we went for a Chinese New year party to my husband’s colleague’s place. There was this huge spread of Chinese dishes on many tables. Though I was not so very familiar with Chinese Cuisine, I couldn’t make out what all the dishes were. But one dish at the centre that caught my eye was Spagetti and Meat balls. And when I got to taste it, it was awesome…it was a Chinese version. It was simply delicious! Surprisingly my kids loved it too. From then on..I had been wanting to try Chinese Spagetti and Meatballs one day.Then last weekend, I made it…Came out real good.
I don’t know if this is the authentic way of doing it.This is my version.It tastes really good.
- Thick Spagetti – 500 gms
- Salt as needed
- Water to cook the spaghetti.
For the meat balls:
- Minced raw beef – 1 kg
- Egg – 1 big(beaten well)
- Bread crumbs – 2 cups
- Salt as needed.
- Chinese Five spice powder – 2 tsp
- Onions – 1 big(finely chopped)
- Soy Sauce – 2 tbsp
For final sauting:
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 5 pearls (finely chopped)
- Onions – 1 big(cubed)
- Spring Onions – 1 bunch(Chopped finely)
- Carrots – ½ cup(Julienned)
- Cabbage – ½ cup(finely shredded)
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp.
- Sweet chilli Sauce – 3 -4 tbsp(if not available, replace it with Tomato Sauce)
- Soy sauce – 5 tbsp.
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
- Dry roasted Sesame seeds – 4tbsp.
- In a big vessel, cook spaghetti with a little salt and oil to al dente. When cooked , reserve 1/3rd cup of the water and drain the rest of the water away and keep the pasta aside.
- Place the minced beef in a bowl. Add egg to it. Now add the bread crumbs. Mix well with clean hands.
- To this add salt, Pepper powder, Five-spice powder, chopped onions and 2 tbsp of Soy sauce. Mix well and shape into small balls.
- In a pan/Kadai , heat oil. Deep fry the balls till golden brown and well cooked. Place on a kitchen towel to drain off the excess oil.
- Now heat 3 or 4 tbsp of vegetable oil(I used sunflower oil) in another big pan/wok. Add finely chopped garlic and sauté well. To this add the cubed onions and the white of the Spring onions and Saute for a minute Now add the julienned carrot and finely shredded cabbage and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add Black Pepper powder, Sweet chilli sauce, Soy Sauce and the chopped greens of the spring onions and sauté well. To this add the 1/3rd cup of water(water in which the pasta was cooked).Bring to a boil, add the cooked pasta and on high flame ,toss for 1 minute so that the Pasta absorbs and gets soaked in the sauce.Sprinkle the sesame oil and toss well.
- Garnish with dry roasted sesame seeds and meatballs and serve and Enjoy!
If you don’t have Chinese Five Spice Powder, heres the recipe.
CHINESE FIVE-SPICE POWDER:
- Star Anise – 6
- Whole Black Peppercorns -1 ½ tsps
- Cinnamon – 3 tbsp
- Ground Cloves – ¾ tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 ½ tsps
- Heat a pan and dry roast all the above ingredients on low fire(Taking care not to burn the spices).
- When it emits an aroma, turn off the flame. Allow to cool.
- Grind finely to a fine powder. Store in an air tight container.