As I had said earlier that I hate Brinjals/Baingan ..But Dahi Baingan I had prepared using Brinjals was totally impressive. Surprisingly..I liked it..Me and my kids unlike my husband love potatoes/Aloo…we love potatoes in anything…So today I just thought why not make Dahi Aloo! The combo of potatoes with Dahi(Yoghurt) is simply super! And this dish turned out to be “Super”….thats the word my elder sonny boy told me when I served Dahi Aloo with Rice and Spiced Vegetable Omelette for lunch today! So sharing this simple and humble yet utterly delicious recipe with you!
- Potatoes – 2 medium
- Yoghurt – ½ cup
- Water as needed.(I used ¾ cup)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds/ Jeera – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Grated ginger – Use ½ inch piece
- Oil/ghee – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
- Boil the potatoes. When cool, Skin and crumble with clean fingers.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Then add grated ginger and sauté for a few seconds. Now add the asafoetida. Add the crumbled Potatoes to this. Saute.
- Then add Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, Garam masala powder and combine well.
- To this add the yoghurt and stir. Add water and stir again. Add salt.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the gravy is thick.
- Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves .Serve hot with Rice/ Roti.