Pumpkin Erissery is one of the many inevitable dishes in the Kerala Sadya!Erissery can be made using different vegetables ,together with red cow peas /Van payar,but the common favourite among most keralites is Pumpkin/Mathanga Erissery.
- Cowpeas (Van payar) – 1/2 cup
- Pumpkin/Mathanga – 3 cups(Skin cut off and cubed.
- Salt as needed.
- Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
Jeera/Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Dry red chillies – 2 – 3 nos
- Soak Cow peas/Vanpayar overnight.Next day cook it with some water and salt until soft.Keep aside.
- In a vessel,cook cubed pumpkin along with a little water,chillipowder and salt till pumpkin is cooked.
- Grind the ingredients under “To Grind” .Now add the cooked cowpeas to the vessel containing the pumpkin.Gently mix.Simmer on a low flame for 2 minutes.Now to this add the ground coconut mixture and again simmer on low flame for 1 minute.Add salt if needed.Turn off the flame and keep aside.
- Now heat coconut oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds and when they splutter,add Dry chiilies,Curry leaves and grated coconut and saute till coconut is browned.
- Turn off the flames and pour this into the Cowpeas-Pumpkin mixture.Mix gently.Transfer to serving dish.Serve hot with steamed white rice and Enjoy!