Today after quite a long gap I come to you with a very simple easy to prepare Basil seeds Lemonade…I am sure many of you will be knowing whats Basil seeds..Basil seeds are small seeds which come from the Basil plant…In appearance they closely resemble black sesame seeds…but are comparatively smaller…I came to know of it from my college days.I had a muslim room mate in my hostel…who used to break her ramadan fasting with basil seeds lemonade…I always wondered why…then later I came to know it was due to its calming ,soothing and cooling properties…
Basil seeds are also known as sabja seeds,sweet basil seeds or even as tukmaria seeds…These seeds have a wonderful property of welling up when soaked in water for about 5 minutes…It becomes jelly like…and is quite crunchy with no taste of its own..however one must not underestimate these little guys as they consists of a huge bundle medicinal properties..like being a natural laxative…a natural coolant and even also known to cure urinary tract problems..!
Days in my part of the world these day are extremely hot…so hot that sometimes we feel breathless with the humidity…thanks to the air conditioner..we are surviving..!So making fruit juices becomes a necessity…So today its lemonade day.I like to call this drink “My lemonade with a crunch”…after all who doesnt love a crunch in their lemonade 🙂
P.S – FOOD PASSION AND LOVE is now on instagram too!Catch me at FOODPASSIONANDLOVE in instagram.
- Lemon – 1
- Chilled water – 2 cups
- Basil seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Sugar/Honey to taste
- Salt – a tiny pinch
- In small bowl soak up the basil seeds in 1/2 a cup of water for about 5 minutes.
- You will see the seeds absorbing the water and welling up!(I love to watch that 🙂 )
- Squeeze the lemon into a pitcher and add the chilled water,sugar/honey and salt and stir till sugar is dissolved.Now add the soaked,welled up basil seeds.
- Pour into tall glasses .Serve..Enjoy!!
- You can replace sugar with honey for a healthier option.
- If the Basil seeds settle to the bottom,just give it a stir before serving!