Month: June 2016
Spinach biriyani or Palak Biriyani is a very easy to make one pot dish..You dont need to make any side dishes other than a simple Raita and pickle to go with.Its also one way you can include spinach in your little picky eater’s diet.
- 2 cups basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 4 or 4.5 cups of water
- 3 tbsp ghee(I used sunflower oil)
- some fried cashews for garnishing (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 small star anise
- 3 cardamoms slightly crushed
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- a pinch of mace
Dry powders to be added:
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 medium bunch spinach (palak)
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1 or 2 green chilies
- 5-6 almonds or cashews
- Rinse the palak/spinach leaves well. chop and keep aside. Rinse & chop the green chilies, mint and coriander leaves.
- In a blender, add the chopped spinach, mint, coriander, green chilli and almonds.
- Now add ½ cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom and deep pan or pot. Add all the whole spices.
- Fry for a few seconds and then add the sliced onions & fry till they are browned. remove some of the fried onions for garnishing.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for some seconds. Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes becomes soft for 2-3 minutes.
- Keep on stirring so that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the spinach puree and saute. for 3 to 4 minutes. Now all the dry spice powders one by one and saute.
- Drain the soaked rice and add to this. Combine well and saute for 1-2 minutes. Pour 4 or 4.5 cups water. Add salt as needed.
- Cover tightly with a lid and cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Fluff the rice gently with a fork and now garnish with fried onions and cashews.Serve hot with a pickle and Raita and Enjoy!
Hello everybody..its been a long long time since I last posted anything..guess I was caught up in the waves of time..
Recently I received a very surprising kind of mail from one of my readers..I am not disclosing her name here..well coming to the mail..it said “Hi Shannu..how are you?Its been a long time since I have seen any of your posts..Hope alls well at your side..Yours is one of the few blogs I go through..I used to go through another travel blog with great interest,since I am quite a travel freak..but recently I noticed that for the past few months,the author hasnt been posting anything lately..on googling further,I came to the shocking fact that the author had met with a car crash and he was no more..Hope you are doing good..I wonder why you are MIA..waiting fr your new posts..Love,X”…
This is how it was…!I was happy to see the mail,but also it was a bit of shock..To all those who wonder where I am gone…I am here..ha ha..very much ALIVE in my corner of this world..the sad thing is I dont get much time these days to post anything..with my youngest one out of the three kids I have,starting school.Yes I have been cooking..cooking a lot lately,I hope to post all these some day ha ha..
Coming to todays post,its a simple but extremely delicious and easy to put together Bread Pudding…with minimal ingredients.I served it warm with Vanilla Icecream and a drizzle of honey on the top..I like combos of hot and chilled desserts..You can choose your own combo or serve it alone..its equally good!
- Bread -6 to 8 slices
- Milk – 300 ml+50 ml
- Sugar- ¾ cup or to taste
- Vanilla essesnce-1 tsp
- Custard Powder-3 tblspn
- Unsalted Butter-2 tblspn
- Preheat the oven to 380°F / 190°C.
- Cut your bread into chunks and set aside.
- Take 300 ml milk in a sauce pan and add butter to it. Heat the milk so that the butter melts(Stir well).Turn off the flame and cool a bit till warm.
- Now in another bowl, take 50 ml milk and add custard powder and mix well so that no lumps are formed.
- Now add vanilla, sugar in it and whip it well. Pour the warm milk into this and mix well.
- Take a baking pan and butter it slightly. Lay the bread pieces in the pan,arranging nicely without gaps and pour the custard over the bread.
- Press the bread with the back of a spoon so that the bread absorbs all milk-custard mixture(Do not mash).Leave it out for 5 mins.
- Now put it in the preheated oven for 45-50 mins or until golden and crispy on top.
- Remove this and let it stand for 5 mins. Serve warm with icecream and Enjoy!