Spinach biriyani or Palak Biriyani is a very easy to make one pot dish..You dont need to make any side dishes other than a simple Raita and pickle to go with.Its also one way you can include spinach in your little picky eater’s diet.
- 2 cups basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 4 or 4.5 cups of water
- 3 tbsp ghee(I used sunflower oil)
- some fried cashews for garnishing (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 small star anise
- 3 cardamoms slightly crushed
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- a pinch of mace
Dry powders to be added:
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 medium bunch spinach (palak)
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1 or 2 green chilies
- 5-6 almonds or cashews
- Rinse the palak/spinach leaves well. chop and keep aside. Rinse & chop the green chilies, mint and coriander leaves.
- In a blender, add the chopped spinach, mint, coriander, green chilli and almonds.
- Now add ½ cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom and deep pan or pot. Add all the whole spices.
- Fry for a few seconds and then add the sliced onions & fry till they are browned. remove some of the fried onions for garnishing.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for some seconds. Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes becomes soft for 2-3 minutes.
- Keep on stirring so that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the spinach puree and saute. for 3 to 4 minutes. Now all the dry spice powders one by one and saute.
- Drain the soaked rice and add to this. Combine well and saute for 1-2 minutes. Pour 4 or 4.5 cups water. Add salt as needed.
- Cover tightly with a lid and cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Fluff the rice gently with a fork and now garnish with fried onions and cashews.Serve hot with a pickle and Raita and Enjoy!
Hello again..I have got quite a lot of biriyani recipes in my draft..I am not boasting 🙂 .There is a reason for this..I am crazy and totally in love with Biriyani dishes right from my college days..Be it non vegetarian or vegetarian.By far i have posted Malabar style Chicken Dum Biriyani and Beef Biriyani and Kappa Biriyani in my blog..there are a lot more to come..i think so…as long as I don’t take long gaps/breaks from blogging..When ever I think about my home back in Kerala,India, the first thing that comes to mind is the delicious aroma that fills up the air drifting from the kitchen…And now being a mom to my kids..I want them to remember their home like that too..a home sweet home filled with mouthwatering aroma..Biriyani is one such dish that during its preparation fills the air with MAGIC..which automatically brings everyone to the kitchen..So I make it a point to prepare Biriyani once a week..That has been like that ever since I have been a mom..And my family shares that special love towards Biriyani…
Today my post is of a Vegetable Biriyani..I prepared it during the Lent Season (Easter lent)…It was so delicious..with the goodness of vegetables.The kind of vegetables you want to include in this Biriyani entirely depends on you..Check it out.
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Ghee – 3 tbsp.
- Cinnamon – 2 one inch sticks
- Cardamoms – 3
- Cloves – 3
- Water – 3 ½ cups.
- Salt to taste.
For the Vegetable gravy:
- Carrots – 1 medium chopped.
- Potatoes – 1 medium potato cubed.
- French Beans – ½ cup.
- Onion – 1 medium sliced.
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp.
- Garam masala – 2 tsp.
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp.
- Yoghurt – 2 tbsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- Salt to taste.
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Mint leaves – a handful
- Coriander leaves – a handful.
- Raisins – half a handful
- Cashewnuts – 10
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.Drain the water and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker,heat ghee.To this add cinnamon,cardamom and cloves and wait till they emit an aroma(less than a minute).
- Now add the soaked and drained rice and saute .Now add 1 ½ cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles and wait till the pressure releases.Open the lid and fluff the rice gently with a fork and leave aside.
- Grind the ingredients under “To grind” and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.Saute onions till soft.Now add the ground paste and sauté till the raw aroma disappears.To this add chillipowder,Turmeric powder,coriander powder and garam masala powder and sauté well.Now add the yoghurt(Lower the flame).To this add the ¼ th cup of water and salt.Simmer for a minute and keep aside.
Kappa Biriyani or Tapioca Biriyani as the name suggests is a biriyani made using Tapioca along with Meat like Beef,Chicken,Lamb or even pork.Its a delicacy from the Malabar region of the Gods Own Country,Kerala.It is very easy to prepare and was a mega hit in my family.I first heard about it from one of my room mates back in my college Hostel..I have always been intrigued by that name as I always thought of Biriyani as a dish prepared using Rice..Infact Biriyani is one of my most favourite dishes..You can see that from my Blog ❤ 😉 . Yeah..Coming to Kappa Biriyani..So I have always wondered how this dish tasted like!
On my holidays in my home,during my 2nd pregnancy,one day my brother talked very fondly about the kappa Biriyani he had from a thattukada/Road side hotel in Ernakulam..The foodie in me…!I thought this was the chance to taste the dish..I asked him to bring a parcel/take away for me next time he visited that thattukada..He didnt disappoint me 🙂 I got the Kappa Biriyani,the very next day itself..It was soo tasty…I was sad that he brought just 1 parcel/take away for me 😦
My hubby is very fond of Kappa/Tapioca.So whenever he buys Tapioca,I make sure I prepare it differently each time.One time I made Kappa Vevichathu with Kerala Red Fish Curry..He loved it so much! Then Next time I Prepared Kerala Kappa Masala with Tea as an evening snack..He was surprised and ate it happily ❤ So this time he brought Kappa/Tapioca from the market…I decided to go for a change again..thats when I remembered the wonderful Tapioca Biriyani/Kappa Biriyani..I tried it out and it came out soo well..This is an amazing dish..Do not miss trying it!
1.Beef /chicken / lamb / pork / – 1/2 kg, washed and cubed (I used chicken)
2.Ginger – 1 tbsp
Garlic – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
3. Water – 1/4 – 1/2 cup
To prepare kappa/Tapioca
Kappa / tapioca – 3/4 kg, peeled and cut into medium cubes
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
To prepare the biriyani
Pearl onions – 15 – 20, thinly sliced or 1 small savola/onion
Green chillies – 3 – 4, slit
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1.5 – 2 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Salt – To taste
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
For the seasoning
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustards – 1/4 tsp
Dry red chillies – 2
Pearl onions – 2 – 3, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – A few
- Marinate the meat pieces with ingredients under 2 for at least 1 hour.
- Pressure cook the marinated meat adding 1/4 – 1/2 cup water for 3 whistles or until done. Set aside.
- Cook the tapioca pieces in enough water to cover them, adding salt and turmeric powder. When tapioca is done, switch off and drain the water completely. Mash it and keep it aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add the thinly sliced pearl onions. When they start turning brown, bring down the heat to low and add turmeric powder, chilly powder, pepper powder and garam masala powder. Saute for 8 – 10 seconds and add the prepared meat curry. Boil for a few minutes and add the mashed tapioca and a few curry leaves. Mix well. Add salt if needed.
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chilies. Add a few curry leaves and sliced pearl onions and saute until the pearl onions turn brown. Pour this over the prepared tapioca biriyani. Serve hot and Enjoy!
Whats Eid without a Biriyani?So today for my muslim friend’s pot luck party I decided to prepare Egg biriyani since I had already used up my chicken and prepared Tandoori Chicken (This too to be taken for todays party).This is a very easy but different version of Egg Biriyani.But very very addictive and super delicious.
After all the fasting,which Muslims believe is a time they pay for they sins to Allah,Ramzan/Eid is a festival for celebration,get togethers and Love.Whats more better than preparing a delicious Biriyani for your friends and family.Enjoy Egg biriyani and Wishing you all my Muslim friends out there a very Happy Eid!!
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Cinnamon – 3 1 inch pieces.
- Cardamom – 3 -4
- Cloves – 4
- Bay leaf – 1
- Star anise – 2
- Mint leaves – a few
- Water – 1 1/2 cup
- Thin Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Egg – 4 Hard Boiled +3 eggs,beaten and scrambled along with salt and pepper.
- Ghee – 2 tbsp(for masala)
- Ginger garlic paste – 3 tsp
- Mint leaves – 1 hand full
- Coriander leaves/Cilantro – 1 hand full
- Onion – 2 sliced
- Tomato – 1 big(Chopped finely)
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp.
- Coriander powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 3 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Fried Cashew nuts and Raisins for Garnish
- 1 pinch of saffron dissolved in 3 tbsp of milk
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Slice the Boiled eggs length wise,Sprinkle salt and a bit of corn flour and shallow fry in oil and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker,heat 2 tbsp of ghee and add the whole spices and wait till it emits an aroma.
- Now add the mint leaves to it,saute for 5 seconds and add the rice,along with 1 1/2 cups of water+1/2 cup of Thin coconut milk and salt and pressure cook for 3 whistles.When pressure releases,fluff the rice gently with a fork and spread it on a tray and leave to cool.
- Grind together – coriander leaves + mint leaves + green chillies + ginger + garlic and keep aside
- Now in a pan,heat heat 2 tbsp of Ghee and add sliced onion,Cumin seeds,Fennel seeds,Ginger garlic paste, and the above ground paste and saute well.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and saute till soft and well mashed.Then add Chilli powder,Coriander powder,Turmeric powder,Pepper powder,Garam masala powder and saute well.
- Now add the thick coconut milk and mix well on low flame.Add salt and keep on flame till gravy is thick.Turn off the flame.
- Grease a Biriyani pot and layer the bottom layer with rice.On the top ,spread the above prepared masala/gravy.On the top of this layer,spread the Sliced Eggs.On the top of the Sliced eggs,sprinkle the scrambled eggs uniformly.Again spread rice on top of this and repeat till all the rice is finished.
- Now on the top most layer,garnish with Fried Cashew nuts and raisins,Pour the saffron milk if needed uniformly in the top most layer and close the Biriyani pot with an aluminium foil and then place/close the Biriyani pot tightly with its lid.
- Heat a tawa and place the biriyani pot on it and dum it for about 20 minutes.then turn off the flame and leave it for half an hour on kitchen counter for the flavours to penetrate before serving.
- After that Serve hot with a Raita/salad,pickle and a Papad and Enjoy!