Halwas are one of the most popular and loved Indian sweets..There are many kinds of halwa made from different ingredients like Flour,Fruit etc…!The halwa recipe I am sharing here today is a total variation..!Its Bread Halwa !Sounds new?It is something I developed with left over Bread(Not Stale Bread).Its a perfect -to- go halwa recipe for Moms like me who are always in a hurry burry 🙂 My kids and hubby just loved it.Do try it out.You will love it!
- Bread – 7-8 slices
- Ghee – 1/2 cup+( 2 tbsp for later use)
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 cup +3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15
- Cardamom – 3
- Almond – a few slivered(For garnish)
- Soak the cashews in a little warm water for about 15 minutes and keep aside.
- Cut the bread in to tiny pieces.
- Heat ghee(1/2 cup) in a pan.Add the bread pieces to this and roast till a golden brown on low to medium flame,tossing it frequently.
- Meanwhile boil the milk with sugar.
- Add this milk to the roasted bread pieces.Bring this mixture to a boil and then turn the flame to low,allowing it to cook for a few minutes,mashing the bread pieces with a big spoon as it gets cooked.
- Grind the soaked cashewnuts with a little water to a smooth paste.
- Add this to the cooked bread-milk mixture,along with the 2 tbsp of ghee and combine well on low flame until oil appears on the sides.Turn off the flame.Transfer to serving bowls.Garnish with slivered almonds.Serve and Enjoy!
During my childhood days in Tanzania, I remember my school time was from afternoon 1pm to 6pm.Our home used was at a walkable distance from school.And during my short walk from school,I would be totally famished.On the way there used to a many restaurants run by Gujaratis.
Did I tell you? In Tanzania,Daressalaam (The capital) to be precise;there was a huge population of Gujaratis.And as gujarati food was very popular,there were many restaurants serving Gujarati food. Many a times, I had been to these restaurants, be it the birthday treat of a classmate or my hunger pangs ..One of the snacks that attracted me the most was Special Potato Balls(Though it didn’t belong to Gujarati cuisine)..It was soo tasty..I never could guess its ingredients though..May be I was too small for that ha ha..Later after I completed my schooling, we heavy heartedly left Tanzania, and returned back to India. But several years later,after my marriage in India,I was lucky to go back to Tanzania ..I was once again re-living my childhood memories. The place had not changed one bit..except a few new buildings had come up and road made into a 4 laned one…But the restaurants were still there in the same place with its Old Glory and Pride after all these years.I didn’t have to think twice when I placed an order – Gujarati Thali and Special Potato Balls to munch on..The great taste still remained the same..Oh soo awesome…I still couldn’t guess the ingredients..I gathered courage and asked the waiter what these were really made of(You know all restaurants do not reveal the ingredients..I have had several experiences ha ha)..He smiled and replied Potato and Bread…I wondered…all these years I had tried many ways to make this potato snack..i had tried different versions…But still I couldn’t get that particular taste..I never guessed that the secret ingredient was nothing but “Bread”….
On reaching back home,I tried it the very next day evening…and this time I was satisfied! And Now I have been making this like crazy..say every week..and its extremely tasty and my family loves it.Here goes my recipe.
- Potatoes – 2 big(boiled,skinned and mashed)
- Bread – 3 slices.
- Crushed Ginger – 1 tsp.
- Crushed Garlic – 1 tsp.
- Mint leaves(Finely chopped) – 2 tsp.
- Coriander leaves (Finely chopped) – 2tsp.
- Salt as needed.
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Corn Flour – 1 tbsp
- All purpose Flour/Maida – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp.
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp.
- Oil for deep frying.
- Immerse the bread slices one by one, in a bowl of water and then take out the slices and squeeze away the excess water .
- Add this water soaked slices to the Mashed Potatoes and using clean hands,squeeze and combine.Then to this mixture,add ingredients mentioned above under 3 to 12.DO NOT ADD WATER AT ALL.Combine well and knead into a soft dough.
- Now pinch small portions from the dough and using your palms ,roll into balls.
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry.
- Add the balls into the oil and fry till golden brown.Remove the fried balls and drain off the excess oil on a kitchen towel.Serve hot with tomato sauce and Enjoy!!
- While kneading the dough,do not add water as there is enough moisture from the wet bread slices.
- Applying oil to fingers and palms and then rolling into balls will make prevent the dough from sticking onto the hands during rolling.
After my last post of Chocolate cake with chocolate glaze..and the loving feedback I got from dear friends,neighbours and my family..I was very much into the mood of baking..So today evening I decided to bake something..something different..something savoury..!I remembered how much we enjoyed the Garlic Mozzarella muffins I baked last month.So I thought to incorporate that idea but using some greens this time.The main problem that was disturbing in my mind was about my youngest 2 year old man 😉 He is by far the fussiest eater in the universe..All he prefers is just plain rice with no greens 😦 and french fries.Cant give him that all the time.And the doctor had been regularly asking me to try and change his food habits..I happened to have a huge Broccoli in my refrigerator..so i decided to use that!I found this recipe here,along with a few modifications from my side.
One thing I must mention here is that when you bake these savoury babies..the aroma filling the air..is really really awesome!!And the happiest part for me is my lil man just LOVED it!!I was wonderstruck..him n Broccoli!!No way!But he just loved it!Now I am going to bake these often!My family loved it too!I share a few with my neighbour too(You know she is quite frank and a good food critic) and she said they tasted wonderful!
You know you can substitute the broccoli with almost any kinda veggies u like or even you can use meat!And this is a very easy recipe perfect for breakfast as well as with tea!Or you can have as for Brunch too!Try it out!
- All purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Wheat Flour – 2 cups.
- Instant yeast – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Water – as needed.
- Olive Oil 1-2 tbsp
- Butter 2-3 tbsp or as needed
- Milk 2 tbsp (for brushing)
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp or as needed
For the Filling:
- Broccoli (Chopped finely) – 1 1/4 cup.
- Red Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves(finely crushed)
- Ground Cumin / Cumin powder -1/4 tsp
- Red chili Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil 1-2 tsp
- Mozzarella cheese(shredded) – 1/2 cup
- Pasta sauce/Tomato Sauce/Pizza sauce – 1/4 cup.
- Sift flours into a big mixing bowl.
- Add yeast and salt and mix well and add sufficient water and knead into a soft and smooth dough.
- Now drizzle oil onto the dough and again knead it for about 10 minutes into a smooth dough.
- Then apply a few drops of oil all over the dough and cover the bowl using a cling wrap or a wet cloth and leave aside in a warm place for about 40 – 45 minutes or until it doubles its volume.
- Meanwhile lets prepare the Broccoli filling.
- Heat oil in a pan,add onion and garlic and saute well for a few minutes.Then add chopped Broccoli and saute well.Now add all the spice powders and salt and saute till it emits an aroma.
- Now turn off the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Once the dough has risen to double its size,preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit or 180 degree Celsius.
- Grease the muffin tray with olive oil or cooking spray and keep aside.
- Now punch down the air in the dough and knead again for a few seconds.Now divide the dough in to two equal parts, take one portion and on a well floured surface roll the dough to a round 1/4″ thick shape using a rolling pin.
- Now apply butter all over surface of the rolled dough(round shaped) and spread all over it and add 2-3 tbsp for broccoli filling,with shredded mozzarella cheese on the top and start rolling from one end and completely.
- Then cut the rolled roll in to 6-7 equal small rolls and place in the greased muffin pans.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining portion and arrange everything on the baking pan and sprinkle remaining butter on top and smear pasta sauce on the top(Using the back of a spoon)and brush with milk, sprinkle some sesame seeds.Do this for all the roll muffins and bake them for 20-25 minutes or till the top turns crispy and golden brown.
- After this remove from the oven,allow to cool on a wire rack till warm.. and serve and Enjoy!