Recently I met one of my old classmates,now working in one of the leading fruit Jam companies in India..After a long talk over tea,I teased her asking why she didnt even bring me a sample bottle of Jam from her Company,she told me something that shocked me..!She said me that these store bought “Jams” or to be precise “Spreadable Fruit Servings” were not healthy at all!The so called “Fruit ” Jams contained very little fruit and more of sugar and corn starch and flavour enhancers.While you do need some sugar,its really the fruit you want to taste!..For a whole bottle of Jam,the quantity of fruit used was just 1 tbsp of fruit.Just imagine!And in addition to that ,the use of preservatives and some other artificial substances.I was shocked!I mean where is this world leading us to??
So after hearing all this,i spoke to my Mom about this..She was the one who told me..Why not make your own Jam instead of eating the Junk of the Store shelves!This recipe is from her kitchen.
Pineapple was in season here,so I decided to make Pineapple Jam the very next day!It contains all the goodness of Pineapple with NO added colour and NO preservatives.It tastes wonderful and soo healthy!You can make your own labels for the bottles and gift them to your friends.This homemade jam makes a great gift!Do try it out!
- Pineapple – 1 medium(yielding 4 cups when chopped)
- Sugar – 2 cups.
- Pineapple essence – 1tsp(Optional)
- Lime Juice – 1 1/2 tbsp.
- Peel and chop the pineapple and puree it in a Blender.
- Heat a Saucepan over the fire,to this add the pineapple puree and sugar.
- Combine until the sugar is well dissolved and the mixture is thick for about 15 minutes,stirring.Place a small amount on a dry spoon and tilt the spoon,if it gels and doesnt flow,thats the consistency,its ready!If not,cook(Stirring) till this consistency is attained.
- Now turn off the flame,add the essence and lime juice and mix well.
- Allow to cool completely.Then transfer to a clean dry glass bottle and store and use!
- This jam keeps well for 2 weeks if used with clean dry spoons and is kept in a clean dry place.To use for longer period,store in refrigerator.
This is one of my family’s very loved dish..except that paneer is not easily available here.But whenever it comes in the stores,I never miss a chance to make this dish.This is a commonly loved favourite among many..One of my dear friends,she asked me not to let out her name..so let me call her S 🙂 has been asking me the recipe of Paneer Butter Masala..So “S”..here it is..!I have kept my word!
One of my family members had a health problem that he had to avoid non veg dishes..So when ever we dined outside,he couldnt order any non veg dishes.Ever since,Paneer Butter Masala was our regular dish while dining out.We lovingly called it our “Butter Paneer” 😀
I learnt this dish from my punjabi neighbours..again I am thankful to them for that.I prepare this dish during the Lent season(Before Easter) too,when we avoid Non veg.Another of my favourite dish almos similar to this is Butter Chicken ,which you can go through in my Blog.
Do try out this very easy,restaurant style Paneer Butter Masala.
- Paneer/Cottage cheese – 250 gms(cubed or diced)
- Onions – 2( minced)
- Tomato-1( pureed)
- Tomato Sauce- 1tbsp
- Butter, ghee, or oil- 1 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder – 1tsp.
- Coriander powder- 2tsp.
- Garam Masala – 1tsp.
- Kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves – 1 generous pinch
- milk- 1 1/2 cup
- Cream or pureed cashew paste (soak and grind cashew nuts)- 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves / cilantro – 1 bunch(For Garnishing)
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the minced onions. Saute till Golden brown.
- Add the gingergarlic paste, corianderpowder, chilli powder, turmericpowder, and salt. Saute till it emits an aroma.
- Now add the pureed tomato and tomato sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the kasuri methi, milk, and the cubed Paneer/Cottage cheese. Cook covered for 3-4 mins until soft. Mix occasionally. Keep the flame low.
- When the paneer is cooked soft, open the lid .If the gravy is too thick, add some water at this stage.
- When done, add the garam masala and the cream or cashew paste.Mix well(take care not to boil).
- Check salt,add if needed, garnish with the coriander leaves, and put out the flame.
- Serve hot with naan or bread and Enjoy!!