Today after quite a long gap I come to you with a very simple easy to prepare Basil seeds Lemonade…I am sure many of you will be knowing whats Basil seeds..Basil seeds are small seeds which come from the Basil plant…In appearance they closely resemble black sesame seeds…but are comparatively smaller…I came to know of it from my college days.I had a muslim room mate in my hostel…who used to break her ramadan fasting with basil seeds lemonade…I always wondered why…then later I came to know it was due to its calming ,soothing and cooling properties…
Basil seeds are also known as sabja seeds,sweet basil seeds or even as tukmaria seeds…These seeds have a wonderful property of welling up when soaked in water for about 5 minutes…It becomes jelly like…and is quite crunchy with no taste of its own..however one must not underestimate these little guys as they consists of a huge bundle medicinal properties..like being a natural laxative…a natural coolant and even also known to cure urinary tract problems..!
Days in my part of the world these day are extremely hot…so hot that sometimes we feel breathless with the humidity…thanks to the air conditioner..we are surviving..!So making fruit juices becomes a necessity…So today its lemonade day.I like to call this drink “My lemonade with a crunch”…after all who doesnt love a crunch in their lemonade 🙂
P.S – FOOD PASSION AND LOVE is now on instagram too!Catch me at FOODPASSIONANDLOVE in instagram.
- Lemon – 1
- Chilled water – 2 cups
- Basil seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Sugar/Honey to taste
- Salt – a tiny pinch
- In small bowl soak up the basil seeds in 1/2 a cup of water for about 5 minutes.
- You will see the seeds absorbing the water and welling up!(I love to watch that 🙂 )
- Squeeze the lemon into a pitcher and add the chilled water,sugar/honey and salt and stir till sugar is dissolved.Now add the soaked,welled up basil seeds.
- Pour into tall glasses .Serve..Enjoy!!
- You can replace sugar with honey for a healthier option.
- If the Basil seeds settle to the bottom,just give it a stir before serving!
A few months back , my dear friend Smitha had asked me if I knew any oats recipes.To tell you the truth,I didn’t frankly know any because I had never cooked oats at home.To be frank..like my kids I am was a very fussy eater too. I recall my mom telling me the tough times she had making me eat!!In the latter years, when I grew up in my grand parent’s home,I clearly remember the times I truly enjoyed giving a tough time for my grandparents, making them run behind me with a plate of food in their hands..I was the only grand child at that time in my maternal and paternal houses and that too a naughty one!!But then while studying in college,I had to stay in our college hostel,where the food was intolerable.Thats when during my holidays when I went home I started eating almost everything that didn’t bite back!! Now when I run behind my kids with the plate in my hands in my desperate attempts to feed them,my mom laughs at me..saying Enjoy ha ha!!
So to cope with this problem of fussy eaters in the family,I have come up with a few tricks up my sleeve.So this is how this recipe took birth.When I started to make it ,I wasn’t sure how it would turn out.But I am happy!!It was a success..!So Smitha,I keep my word.Here goes the recipe.I am sure all kids will love it!!
- Organic Oats – 1 cup
- Cocoa powder – 2 ½ tbsp.
- Melted Butter – 3 tbsp.
- Honey – 3 tbsp.
- Sprinkles to decorate
- Heat a pan and fry the oats for about 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame or till the raw aroma disappears.Allow to cool.Then grind in a mixer to a fine powder and transfer it to a bowl.
- Now to this bowl of powdered oats,add cocoa powder,Melted Butter,Honey.mix well with a spoon.
- Apply butter to your palms and gently roll the above mixture into small balls.Decorate with sprinkles or chocolate grains(Your Choice) and serve and Enjoy!!
- Frying the oats is entirely optional.I fried because I don’t like the taste of raw oats.
Pineapple is a delicious fruit..but not my brother’s favourite since he tends to develop an itchy tongue after consuming it..Here being the pineapple season,our house was literally overflowing with pineapples.So last time I made the very simple Pineapple juice,he refused to drink it 🙂 .So today I prepared this Pineapple Smoothie.He not only loved it,but also didnt get an itchy tongue.So I thought I must share this recipe so that it might be helpful or people facing similar difficulty,so that they can enjoy the goodness of this fruit in the form of this yummy and refreshing smoothie!
- Fresh Pineapple (skinned and chopped) – 1 1/2 cups.
- Powdered Cinnamon – 1 generous pinch.
- Chilled Milk – 1/2 cup.
- Honey – 1 1/2 tbsp.
- Chilled Yoghurt – 3/4 cup.
- In a blender,blend Pineapple pieces,Powdered Cinnamon,Chilled Milk,Honey and Chilled Yoghurt until smooth and uniform.
- Pour into tall glasses and Serve immediately!Enjoy!
- Use only chilled milk and Chilled yoghurt.
- Do not keep.Serve immediately after blending.
- You can reduce or increase the amount of honey,depending upon the sweetness of the Pineapple.