Indian halwa recipes
Halwas are one of the most popular and loved Indian sweets..There are many kinds of halwa made from different ingredients like Flour,Fruit etc…!The halwa recipe I am sharing here today is a total variation..!Its Bread Halwa !Sounds new?It is something I developed with left over Bread(Not Stale Bread).Its a perfect -to- go halwa recipe for Moms like me who are always in a hurry burry 🙂 My kids and hubby just loved it.Do try it out.You will love it!
- Bread – 7-8 slices
- Ghee – 1/2 cup+( 2 tbsp for later use)
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 cup +3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15
- Cardamom – 3
- Almond – a few slivered(For garnish)
- Soak the cashews in a little warm water for about 15 minutes and keep aside.
- Cut the bread in to tiny pieces.
- Heat ghee(1/2 cup) in a pan.Add the bread pieces to this and roast till a golden brown on low to medium flame,tossing it frequently.
- Meanwhile boil the milk with sugar.
- Add this milk to the roasted bread pieces.Bring this mixture to a boil and then turn the flame to low,allowing it to cook for a few minutes,mashing the bread pieces with a big spoon as it gets cooked.
- Grind the soaked cashewnuts with a little water to a smooth paste.
- Add this to the cooked bread-milk mixture,along with the 2 tbsp of ghee and combine well on low flame until oil appears on the sides.Turn off the flame.Transfer to serving bowls.Garnish with slivered almonds.Serve and Enjoy!