Todays post is that of a very delicious Vegetable Stew that tastes perfect with Appam !Today being the starting of the 8 days of Lent observed in Gods own country ,Kerala..mainly honouring the Most Blessed Mother Mary,the mother of Jesus,the end of the eight day..that is september 8 believed to be The Blessed Virgin Mary’s Birthday!!This 8 days Lent or Ettu Noyambu,as it is called in Kerala starts from September 1st and ends with great celebration in the catholic churches of Kerala.Non vegetarian dishes are completely avoided during these 8 days..I remember my mother preparing Vegetable Stew ,served with warm,soft and lacy Appams..So now I being a mother,continue her tradition 🙂
This is a perfect Vegetable Stew recipe,the typical flavourful Kerala Stew,perfect for vegetarians and it tastes absolutely haevenly with Appams!Here goes the magic recipe!Try it out and bring magic on your dining tables!
- Potatoes – 1 cup(skinned and cubed)
- Carrots – 1/4 cups(Skinned and Cubed)
- Beans – cut into 1 inch pieces
- Cauliflower florets – 1/4 cup
- Ginger – A small piece(Crushed)
- Garlic – 4 pearls(Crushed)
- Onion – 1 Big(sliced finely)
- Green chilli – 2 (halved)
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsps
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp.
- Crushed black pepper – 1 1/2 tsp
- Thin Coconut milk – 3 cups.
- Thick Coconut milk – 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala – 2tbsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a handfull
- In a pressure cooker,cook potatoes,carrots,Beans,Ginger,Garlic,Onion,Green chillies,Coriander powder,Turmeric Powder,Crushed black pepper,thin Coconut milk,garam masala and salt for 3 whistles.
- After the pressure releases,open the lid and mix well with a spoon and on low flame,add the thick coconut milk.Add salt again if needed and keep on low flame for 2-3 minutes.Turn off and keep aside.
- Now in a pan,heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,then add curry leaves,then turn off the flame and pour it into the vegetable gravy in the pressure cooker.Mix well.Vegetable stew is ready.
- Transfer into a serving dish and serve with Appam/Chapathis/Bread and Enjoy !!
You can use any kind of vegetables in this stew.